Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

price to get started in taxidermy

Old 12-03-2007, 07:33 PM

Default price to get started in taxidermy

looking to get into taxidermy.....know a guy who is really good thats willing to show me but just curious on some of your guys opinions how much it will cost me to get started
Old 12-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: price to get started in taxidermy

I think you will be surprised at the cost. I myself and getting more and more into it. I have mounted a couple deer, and have more than enough in the freezer to keep me busy for this winter. I am to the point now where I have pretty much everything I will need, but one thing you will learn in taxidermy is there is a ton of ways to do anything...there are also several types of tools that are different, but give you similiar results. I guess I am trying to say to you can start off getting the less expensive tools and work your way up....so my next steps will be buying the more expensive tools. The more expensive tools simply allow you to a better job faster. I would have to say I have around $600.00 in getting started. As I you do more heads, you will need more supplies, which cost more money. The start up is the most expensive becuase your first 10 heads or so will be for free or just enough to cover cost....you can't start charging until your good enough to charge.

Check out www.taxidermy.net This is where I spend the majority of my time and you can learn a ton. Be sure to check out the archives before jumping in and asking basic questions. There is a wealth of information out there.