Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

euro mount

Old 05-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default euro mount

If i was to "euro" mount my spike.. i could do it on a block of wood i cut myself right? what would be the best way to mount it on.. also what really cleans up the skull good and gets it nice and white? i heard bleaching can mess them up? i dont want to buy anything.. without buying something can i get it nice and clean..?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 AM

Default RE: euro mount

clean it an then soke it in bleach for 20 mins no more and no less
Old 05-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't use bleach it eats away at the bone real bad. Boil the head out in laundry detergent without bleach or get the good stuff from a taxidermist or order some of hte good stuff from a taxi catelog. Iboiled mine in laundry detergent and it worked great. Here is a couple pics of it. WCL

Old 05-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

As if right now thi is what it looks like.. needs alot of work still.. bits and peices of skin i need to remove but needs to be cleaned ALOT that nose how can i get that out.. so its hollow right there like yours wingchaser
Old 05-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep boilin it in detergent and stuff and take it out every once in awhile and scrap stuff off. Toget the junk outta the nose I grab the head by the horns and give it long throw downwards between my legs and the junk will come flyin out on the ground. Just hang on so you don't let go and the skull goes flyin. Boil more and repeat till the skull is fully clean. Make sure you get everything off and all the brain out otherwise it will rot in the future. WCL
Old 05-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

can someone show me what the skull should look like from underneath after cleaning
Old 05-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

It should look like white bone just like the top. Teeth have alot of plaque on them that takes a sharp tool to scratch off but the whole thing should be all bone when you are done. It takes awhile beleive me. WCL
Old 05-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Boil the meat off. I also take mine up the the car wash and blow it out. Here are some pics of Euros I've done

My latest

A couple More from Wisconsin

A yote from last year

Some others from last year (the ones in from are done, the ones in back are either skinned or skinned and partially boiled

These ones are also just skinned, getting ready to go into the boiler

Old 05-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

is it easy for u to skin them.. or like my case was it HARD.. my right hand has blinsters on it from pulling the skin off with rubber grip pliars
Old 05-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends how long you leave it one there. I remove the skin within a few days of killing mine and if I can't do that I freeze em so tehy don't dry out making it hard to skin. WCL

Quick Reply: euro mount

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.