Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Straightening turkey beard

Old 11-25-2005, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Straightening turkey beard

In October I got back my turkey mount. The beard, which WAS straight when I shot it, now has a permanent bend in it, kinda like an open "C." I have tried numerous times bending it back to straight, but it immediately returns to the bent shape which severely reduces the appearance of the beard length as well as the overall mount.

I'd like to fix it myself if it's fairly easy because with all the deer and other animals coming in there currently, I'd likely have to wait for quite a while to get it back a 2nd time -- and that's assuming he'd take it back for repairs a couple months later.

Any helpful tips are welcome.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:55 AM

Default RE: Straightening turkey beard

I have strightened them with a wet rag and water. let it stay wet for the day,strighten it and put between two books or something that want let it move till dry.that should do it.
you couls take something like a paper towel roll and cut length ways ,wet the beard and then roll the tub around it real tight and leav for a few days.that way you don't have to lay the mount down or sideways.

it probablly got damp and bent when the taxidermist was waiting on the form or something and when it dried thats the way it stayed.

good luck and congrats.

Pic's. please