Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

fist try with kit.what to do while kit is coming

Old 11-04-2005, 01:52 PM

Default fist try with kit.what to do while kit is coming

I have oreded a kit from Van dyke to do my 107lb. spike. thought this was a great chance to try mounting one myslf. for $ 40.00 they claim the form and all chems. and eyes glues. etc.. come in this kit. I want to take my time and do a good job. What else can you recamend To get to help? I will get the cape and head back saturday afternoon. Should I freeze it? or start with some salt? What kind of salt am I looking to purchse and where? I heared borax also works? I have to wait for about a week for the kit to arrive. What should I do while waiting for the kit?
Are these kits from this compant good?
Thanks for any input.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: fist try with kit.what to do while kit is coming

Slow down a bit. You have a bit of work to do before you even need the kit. I'd suggest getting a video, or at least a book. When you get the head back put it in the freezer. I'd suggest getting the Breakthrough Whitetail manual. This will help explain the steps you need to take to prep the cape for mounting. I assume the kit comes with Dry Preserve, so you'll just have to split and flesh everything after caping out the head. Being your first time, this is gonna take a while. Most major suppliers will carry the Breakthrough manuals and a variety of videos. Don't start on the head until you think you have a decent idea of what needs done. It's not going anywhere, and it's a long winter.The more you understand before getting started, the better the results wil be.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:43 PM

Default RE: fist try with kit.what to do while kit is coming

Thanx for all the info. I will look for the book you said is good and I'd really like to find a good video. Thank you for the reply.