Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Caribou Rug...

Old 09-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Caribou Rug...

Hi,

I just got back from a caribou hunt in northern Quebec. I brought a hide back with me looking to turn it into a rug. I took it to my local taxidermist, which is the first thing I'm doing with them.

Based on the expectations a few fellow hunters set with me, I was thinking that a quality job would take about 6-9 months in total between the taxidermist getting all the hides he will for the season; sending it to the tannery; getting it back, etc...

I was very surprised when this taxidermist, who says they are also the tannery for many taxidermists in the area, told me it will take 4 weeks?

Would this raise any red flags to you?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:48 PM

Default RE: Caribou Rug...

Huuum, even if they are tanners that is way too fast.

I know I do about 1200 pelts a year (capes and hides) and I keep them about 1 month in salt here to cure.
Of course the humidity in South Florida is around 78 to 98 % must of the time so the pelts take longer to cure.Maybe in your area they dry faster.

Or maybe the guy is not backed up, you should have made a mark on your pelt , like use a 16 p nail and dig holes in the shape of your innitials, that would prevent someone swapping your hide for one that looks like it.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:19 AM

Maybe a red flag, but how well do you know your taxidermist? Mine is a very good friend now, and I got a bear rug back in about a month.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

Hi,

Thanks for the response. The humidity levels here are lower than FL.

I don't know the taxidermist, but they came highly recommended by someone I know. I'm new to the area, so didn't know anybody.

Hopefully things will turn out well.

Cheers,
Old 10-14-2005, 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: mustad

Hi,

Thanks for the response. The humidity levels here are lower than FL.

I don't know the taxidermist, but they came highly recommended by someone I know. I'm new to the area, so didn't know anybody.

Hopefully things will turn out well.

Cheers,
Who is the Taxidermist/Tannery you took your hide to? Where are they located. I might know them.