Community
Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

How to get into 3D competition shoots

Old 07-08-2008, 10:53 AM

Default How to get into 3D competition shoots

I want to get into some amateur tournament shoots for archery but i really don't know where to start. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How to get into 3D competition shoots

Check out this link .... ( www.3dshoots.com ) , then click on the link to look for shoots and touramants in your state then attend those events.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:00 PM

you can also go to www.bowsite.com and do the same thing there
Old 07-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another wayis to find a local archery shop and ask them where some local clubs are. That's how I got into it many moons ago, the local shop by my house has flyers up for 5-6 different clubs that have shoots locally.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

Another wayis to find a local archery shop and ask them where some local clubs are. That's how I got into it many moons ago, the local shop by my house has flyers up for 5-6 different clubs that have shoots locally.
I agree with TexasBowHunter.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks alot the sites were really helpful! I found plenty of places close by!
I was also wandering what i needed though. Am i able to take my hunting bow and keep the same set up?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, most local shoots predominantly break down into two different classes: Hunter Class and Open.

You can read up on all the rules by either going to www.asaarchery.com or www.ibo.net (think those are both right; did them from memory alone)... Basically in Hunter class, you're looking at a max of four fixed pins which you can't move after you start the course, and a 12" and under length for the stabilizer. There's other little rules you can read up on on those websites, but just those two things right there will take care of you 99% of the time for your local shoots.

The guys shooting Open usually have a much longer stabilizer and are shooting a sight where the shooter dials in the yardage for each shot.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't worry too much about sticking to the rules by the letter.Just tell the people taking your money you are new and just feeling things out,not even sure about your equipment.They will let you know if you are breaking any rules but rest assured,they will let you shoot and enjoy the fun,just may not be able to take home a trophy if you aren't following the rules by the letter.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed, Todd... that's why I said those two big rules will get you by in almost every place.

Todd's post also reminded me of something... you'd probably be wise to shoot in the "fun" class your first several shoots; what that means is you shoot from the same stakes in the same class as you normally would, but you get to save $5 or so because you're not competing for a trophy.

Our usualy fees around here are $12 - $15... and the first few I shot I saved the $5 or so because I just wanted to get a feel for what was going on. After a few shoots and I saw I was going to be competitive, I paid to shoot for a trophy. Just a thought.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

Your first step is just to go to one. Just because some people call it a tournament and you can win trophy's and money don't let that stop you. There are beginner shooters all the way up to sponsored shooters. Many people will help you as I have found that the bowhunting community is made up of some very nice people for the most part.

Just go have fun. Don't get competative. Tag along with someone to learn the ropes.

I just started shooting this year and the two 3-d's I have shot have been nothing but great practice, a lot of learning, and fun as hell.

DO IT!!