Community
Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

Sight pin setup

Old 03-14-2008, 05:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Sight pin setup

I decided to do something "different" with my sight pins last night. The two tournaments I'm shooting this weekend are35yds and under.....so Ithought the best way to set my sight up was to set the 20yd pin.....then jam all my pinstogether tight....so that the gap is the same on all of them.I then thought I'd walk back and find out what the yardage was for the lower pins.

The way it worked out.....Top pin is 20yds. 2nd pin is 25yds. 3rd pin is 33yds. I didn't set the others....as there was no need.

I plan onchecking my 4thpin maybe tonight.....but I won't need it this weekend.

Youguys may do this all the time. I just know I like looking at the same pin gap on all my pins. As long as YOU know the yardages....it seems like a good idea.

Any down side to this?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sight pin setup

I somewhat do this. I don't just jam them together, but I put them in a gap that allows me to split the pins well. My sword has smaller gaps than a Viper does, so I can't just push them all together but I put them pretty darn close.

Also,a few pieces of advice.

Put a 37 yard pin on there. I know your shooting an IBO event this weekend with a "35" max, buttrust me you may need it. If you see a target that "looks" out past 35 yards trust your gut. IBO is notorious for this, so trust your judgement and make sure you are prepared for it with a pin. You have a 50/50 chance of a target being beyond the "maximum" distance there.........trust me on this.

Take a small package of envelope labels and write the sight pin numbers on it vertically and put it on the back of the riser and build it into your shot sequence looking at that tape, and mentally noting which pin you are going to use before you draw. Trust me on this one, this will save you a 0 at some point in the future if you engrain it into what you do every arrow.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, Matt.....I plan on setting that last pin (and REMOVING the 5th pin) tonight. Gotta remember to do that.

Funny you should say that about the paper.....I told Rob I was gonna tape the yardages to my riser.

Thanks, buddy...and I appreciate the info last night.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is an interesting concept - but how large of a gap could have been between 20 and 30 -- I may employ something similiar but will set mine 20 -30 and then 35- I dunno got me thinking now -
Old 03-14-2008, 06:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I just did it to keep my pin gaps all the same. So what if the yardages are a little unconventional....as long as I know what they are. May work out to be weird!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now the light comes on - understand exactly what you are doing - gotcha
Old 03-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I took the advice of my buddy who is shooting IBO Open Pro and was consistently in the top 3 at Worlds in MBR.

I set my pins for MBR on 5 yard increments out to 47 yards.

Mine go 28,33,38,43,47 (the 47 keeps the gap a little closer for a 45 yard shot and at the max I know I will see)

There is a couple reasons for this........you are never more than 4 yards off a pin, it gives you more precise gaps and the vast majority of the time ranges set the targets at odd yardages. 33, 37-38, 42-43 and this gapping allows me to take dead aim at more targets tham I am "gapping" in between.

I shot the same philosophy when I was in HC and it worked great for me, I always had big X counts in any shoots I entered. In HC I set them a little different with a lower starting point.
22,27,32,37 with only 4 pins.

You live and die in HC big shoots between 27 and 33 yards. My advice is to make sure you center the pin you expect to use the most. Trust me on that. Your whole body relaxes when you know the yardage and its the pin sitting in the center of your sight ring.
My advice is to dead center the 27 on a HC set up.

I only ever shot3 Hunter Class Nationals but took 3rd at Erie in the 2nd Leg of the Triple Crown, and was 2nd after the main part of the IBo Worlds with 20x's (That was the highest X count for any class and any shooter that year) and won the ASA NAtional Pro/AM tour stop in PA. All with the same bow and the same set up.
As long as you have a bow shooting in the 280-290fps range those gaps work fine and are very precise.........get much over 300 and into the 3teens and the gaps start to get a little too tight for my tastes.

If I were setting up a HC sight today I would ABSOLUTELY set it up just like I did in 05'
Old 03-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I was on a tight timeline, Matt

Ill work on it next week. I knew I'd only see 30 yds tomorrow (OK...mybe 33)....in the ASA shoot. And I'll need a 37ish pin for Sunday (IBO). It may have to be a gap on Sunday....as my next pin is likely gonna be a 39yd-er or 40. I'll find out, tonight.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remember like RJ said, 37yards max for IBO and 40 for ASA sanctioned shoots in Hunter Class.

The ASA i went to had the majority of the targets between 35 and 40 yards.......I didn't use anything under 30 yards for 40 targets. And that was a HUNTER class.
30 yard max should be a breeze. The majority will be in the 23-25 yard range.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I just went home and sighted in that 4th pin. Dead on 40yds. So....20, 25, 33 and 40. Hard to imagine that's how it worked out (pin gap getting smaller)....but it did.

I just have to remember to removethe 5th pin and I'm good.

Quick Reply: Sight pin setup

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.