Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Let's get some kennel opinions

Old 05-02-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Let's get some kennel opinions

Hello everyone. I would like to collect some opinions, here. I have one dog, a 30 lb. mountain cur. I am moving (graduating college ) to a new place, where I will set up my dog's kennel. I have 70 feet of kennel paneling, plus the side running down my house to use as a wall if I choose. This means I can do many variations such as a 20 x 30 foot fenced area; a 50 X 10 area using the side of the house as one wall; a 40 x 10 with a split using the side of the house as a wall (this way I could have a run with a kennel inside the run); a simple 10 x 25 separated from the house; or any other number of variations. I do like the idea of using the house as a wall to give the backyard feel, so that the dog can be right up by the back door if he likes, but I also like the idea of helping him avoid the temptation to jump up on door or me on a rainy, wet day. I have a shade tree to include as well as a good house. So, let's hear from you all that have kennels. Do you (and your dogs) prefer long runs, small enclosures, wider open areas, etc. This is just for fun as I am deciding on what I will do at my new place. -MIKE
Old 05-02-2005, 03:59 PM

Default RE: Let's get some kennel opinions

I have 6 x 12 Kennels with Block walls in between the runs. The reason the block walls is I have all males. In the past I had one male grab anothers through the wire and left a nasty cut on the other males pad. Best peice of advice is I built my kennel with a 4" drop in 10' . I did not think this was a big deal but really makes clean up easy.
Scott
Old 05-03-2005, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a pic of the front of Casey's kennel run. Like you are considering, we used the North end of the garage as one wall---------thus the size (18X30).

The front 1/3 is a concrete pad which is covered with astro-turf. It's covered with a roof that has a snow deflector and rain gutter. On his pad are his food and water dishes, dog house and his kiddie pool. There is a teather ball that hangs from the ceiling. In the corner by his dog house is a motion detector light which comes on when he gets up at night to protect us from "dangerous" visitors. The rear 2/3 is dirt to dig in, trees to pee on, bushes to lay under. The entire border is concrete that is buried a couple feet in the ground, in order to keep him from digging out and other creatures from digging in.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the replies. Doc E, the concrete and everything is something I plan to do also, but not at this place since I am renting at first (just out of school and who knows if I will like this town or this job). However, I have been thinking about covering a small portion of my kennel since he's been used to having a covered area for so long, and what I might do is get some wooden pallettes, lay them on maybe some cinder blocks, and put down some turf.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:29 AM

Doc E, I bet you have plenty of squirrels around there, too. I bet my pup would like that.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:55 PM

I suppose their are several opionions about dog kennels. I myself don't like concrete for dogs especially in the cold weather, it is hard on their joints. I know that clean up is great for us humans but I don't mind the clean up, as that is part of having the dogs in the first place like it or not, they must be cared for in all aspects of their lifes.

I have kennels that are 10' x 20' x 7' with 2 inch spacing in the wire. I only use half this area if I am home. Dogs don't need a lot of area and adult dogs will just lay around in the kennel most of the time anyway. I use the additional kennel space if I am away on a hunt or vacation and help with the strees on the dogs of not being able to be let out into the large running area outside their kennel. I don't let other people handle my dogs when I am away. I have timers and self feeders, along with auto matic waterer's.

I placed 6" rock down as the base floor over 2 feet of sand over clay and then 2" clean rock on top of that, to fill in the voides between those large rock. I have 6 x 6 inch wire mesh on top of that rock and It is over lapped making the wire openings 3 x 3 inches. All this is topped off with small 3/8 clean rock ( 1 inch deep) that binds well, as it is chipped with sharp edges. This top area is disinfected twice a week to kill bacteria. Those dogs don't try to dig when inside their kennels, they have learned the hard way. The rock also helps tuffin up their pads too. My dogs have a 4 acre fenced 6 foot high compound around the kennels, so they can excerise and play before being put up at night time.