Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Pointing dog questions

Old 04-15-2005, 10:20 PM

Default RE: Pointing dog questions

Doc E hearing you say he should get a GSP really brings a tear to my eye, or maybe the tear is from smell of my own...well never mind.

Stone, I have a GSP. I only use her for bird work but I know that she gets real fired up about fured aminals, 2 years ago she pointed at the top of a tarace, I thought there was a bird in there untill someone on the down hill side said that it was a Coyote hole, sure enough she was staunch on a coyote den. She is for ever getting on the trail of a Racoon when we hunt creeks, luckly I have always been able to call her off before she finds it.

(going off topic) The last thing I need is to have her fighting with a coon...even if she wins I would spend mucho denero at the vet to get her patched up!

(here I go off topic even further) I was just thinking I have hear that a coon will drown a dog in water during a fight, has anyone else heard the same and do you know if there is any truth to that?

(back on topic) I am sure if you did some training for tracking with deer sent you could train a gsp, or any hunting dog for that mater, to track a deer.

gook luck and let us know how thinks turn out!
Old 04-19-2005, 01:54 PM

Default RE: Pointing dog questions

don't rule out a Brittany. Smaller for indoors and a good companion dog