Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Bird dog questions

Old 04-14-2005, 03:28 PM

Default RE: Bird dog questions

Now Dr. I would not say that I would totally disagreee with you on all accounts about the flushers. But I do like the Pointing breeds as you said its what makes the world go around.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:47 PM

Hello all, some changes have taken place since last posting. Now my wife has agreed to compromise and allow me to spend a little more money and have a dog they weighs up to 75 pounds.

After reading the last two post's I have some questions. If hunting with a flushing dog how hard is it to be able to sense when the dog is about to flush some birds up for you? I could go with the Boykin if it wouldn't be too hard to know when he is birdy and about to flush out a bird or bird's.

I now have been looking into the Germain Wirehaired pointer. They seem to be a good versatile all around dog. Does anyone know if they are reliable retrievers? Thanks,
Old 04-14-2005, 07:35 PM

Well that weight definately fits a wirehair or drahthaar. I had a springer and I will say you can very easliy tell when the dog on hot scent of a bird and they about to flush a bird. As Dr and I have discussed in the past I think that it is mostly what you prefer a pointing dog or flusher. I would also say yes the drahthaar's are reliable retrievers. Retrieving is is large part of the testing.
Scott
Old 04-14-2005, 10:29 PM

Yeah, I guess now the hard part is left up to me to make a decision. Thank you to all who have offered your knowledge.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:40 AM
Typical Buck

Also, consider the range of breeds. Flushers will tend to stay close. Pointers will tend to range farther.

As you're hunting a field with a flusher, most of the time you're looking at your dog. So, worrying over not being able to see your dog getting birdy in not an issue. It's not like you're gonna stop every five minutes to reflect and say, "Damn, that's nice scenery!" Your hunting partners are gonna shoot you. You have to watch pointers also. Alot of birds flush before the dog points.

Personally, there's nothing like watching your dog go on a perfect point.

p.s. I'm gonna have to take my goldie out and hunt her. It's been awhile since she last caught a mouse.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:20 PM

Some good hunting breeds have been mentioned here, but one important one that was forgotten was the German Shorthair Pointer. A little bit larger than a Brittany or Boykin Spaniel, but still a great house dog. My GSP only weighs 55 pounds. She stays close when hunting in a field, no farther than fifty yards at most. She normally stays within thirty yards about 85% of the time. Pointing dogs were bred to cover ground so look into the breeding to find one for the foot hunter. Since you are doing mostly upland hunting I would recommend a pointing dog, there is nothing wrong with flushing dogs, but walking up to a dog on point is a very exciting part of hunting.

If you are hunting in fields with tall grass keeping track of your dog is hard. That is where a pointer comes in handy, but you might chose to invest in a beeper collar so you know where your dog is at when it goes on point. I haven't had a chance to hunt over any other breed of pointer than the Shorthair. My father-in-law used to raise English Pointers and Brittanies, and he prefers the Brittany, but I might have his mind changed to the Shorthair. I would recommend going to a fieldtrial and watching several breeds of dog work to fully make up your mind. Just my $.02 worth.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting
Old 04-22-2005, 09:24 AM

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I have a Brittney (2 1/2 yrs) and have truly enjoyed her. I use her mostly for Grouse but I'm toying with the idea of training her more actively with retreiving Ducks (I lost my Lab and this was the replacement). Great family pet and very intelligent. However, Energy...Energy...Energy...Brittneys need lots of exercise and attention; throwing the ball after work is not going to be enough.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Typical Buck

I think he wanted a flushing dog but was worried about not knowing when the dog was on a bird. Like my mixed up message says, hunting with a flusher, you are going to be constantly looking at the dog and not the scenery. BTW, when the dog starts sniffing and getting excited he is on a bird.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:21 PM

I'm a GSP guy myslef, but would Highly reccomend the Brittany Spanial. I judge both AKC Hunt Tests and Field Trials and have seen thousands of dogs. The reason why I am suggesting a Brittany is that I feel that a pointing dog is a much better Pheasant dog than a flusher. In my "opinion" a pointing dog will actually work running birds much better than a flusher if you train them "properly". It is my opinion that pointing dogs actually ground track much better than labs, although Springers do do a good job as well. With a pointing dog - a broke pointing dog, you will have less problems with your dog flushing running birds out of range. DO you plan on hunting mostly wild or pen raised birds? and What type of cover will you most likely be hunting? These are also big factors when selecting a breed of hunting dog. I also want to add that even though a specific breed may have a reputation for certain characteristics, all bloodlines are not the same. For example - English pointers have a reputation as being big running qual dogs, however there are bloodlines in the NE part of the country which are used for primarily grouse, woodcock, and pheasant which are very close working dogs. If you have a breed taht you really like, but are afraid that that breeds characeristics might not match those whoich you are looking for, you might want to do some research on specific bloodlines and breeders.