Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

electric fence has freaked out my lab

Old 04-01-2005, 03:41 PM

Default electric fence has freaked out my lab

The other day I was about to start a training session and my 11 month old lab got zapped by my electric fence as he was sniffing around by it. He was so freaked out by it that i couldn't even train him that evening. Even the next day he was still a litlle freaked out. Im not sure if he thought i did it to him or what but I was no where near him when it happened? I was able to train him the next day but if we get anywhere near he got zapped he avoids it like crazy. I am now going to unplug the fence when I am out with him. Now I know how a dog could be ruined by an electric collar if not used right. Hopefully i can get him to forget about the incident.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: electric fence has freaked out my lab

Just wait till he lifts a leg and pisses on a electric fence. (I had to laugh when he did it )
My lab did that 4 years ago.
He will not go nere a fence now !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnch
Old 04-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question --- Did you properly "introduce / condition" your dog to the fence? (Most e-fences come with instructions as to proper e-fence conditioning).

This is just one of a LOT of reasons why I do not recommend e-fences.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:39 AM

Doc E I actually have the fence around my house to keep the cows out. It is not to keep the dog in,I have a kennel for that. This fence is temporary and alot cheaper to build than a barb wire fence. I have never heard of conditioning a dog to an electric fence. the instructions that came with the fence controller do not have anything about conditioning dogs to the fence. It was made for cows. I live in texas and when hunting we come across all kinds of fences. I believe these dogs just have to learn some things on their own. Another reason he freaked out so much is that my dog is a little soft or sensitive. He sometimes starts to shut down when disiplined. it sometimes a real battle training a dog like this but he is doing real well despite it. My solution is to unpug it when i go outside with him.He is pretty much back to normal now so I think he is about over it.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK, my mistake...........I thought you were talking about an "electric dog fence" (the so called invisible fence). Now I understand that you were talking about an honest to goodness electric fence. (My brain is too "dog related") []

What your dog is now exhibiting is called "avoidance of a hot spot". If it were me, I wouldn't press the issue -- just go somewher else to train. Given time, your dog might forget the "hot area" or might not.

And, nope, there isn't any way to condition a dog to a real electric fence ------ well, maybe you just did.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:37 AM

My personal opinion it's not bad for the dog to get zapped by a hot wire fence. I think it makes them more carefull when they are in the field and encounter a barb wire fence or even a fence where they could get hung up by their collar.

George.