Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Hip Certification?

Old 09-10-2002, 12:20 PM

Default Hip Certification?

Can anyone tell me what the process of hip certification involves? Also: What other "tests" should be conducted on a male dog that may be put out to stud? For those of you with breeding experience (your dog's, not yours')how important do feel these certifications are?

Sorry to be so needy...Our vet is up in the woods trying to stick an elk.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:43 PM

Default RE: Hip Certification?

I don't know the exact steps that have to be taken, you can probably find out on the akc webpage or doing a web search for OFA I think it is that certifies hips. From the retriever club web page I am looking at, they want the certification on or after 24 months old.

Personally, I think a certification is a darn good thing. I had my GSP xrayed for a bladder infection that would not go away. The vet wanted to nueter him, and I was interested in breeding. The infection was really bad, went away under antibiotics, but came back as soon as they were done.

So the vet arranged the xrays to show my dog's hips. The vet showed me on the xray how my dog's weren't formed ideally into a ball and socket. He said they probably wont give my dog much trouble really, but not a trait that we want to pass on.

I agreed. As great as Jake is, I don't want to breed him and get one of his offspring that has hip problems. Not fair to the dog at all.

So whatever the process is, I think they are good things. Good luck, I hope it all looks good! We are getting a female black lab in October that we are considering breeding if things work out.

--Jim
Old 09-11-2002, 02:51 PM

From a buyers point of view, the OFA rating had a lot to do with my decision making process when I was deciding on where I would buy my GSP from. With all the breeders out there why would I not want to have the parents at least OFA good rating. I don't want to buy myself problems down the road. This was not the only thing I looked for, but it was important when deciding which breeder to buy from.

Now that I made my decision, I just have to wait to see if the breeding worked and if I'll get my new family member by Christmas!
Old 09-12-2002, 09:37 AM

Dear Beans; OFA certification and responsible breeders have done a lot to decrease hip dysplasia. Both OFA and Penn Hip are acceptable. Depending on the breed other certification and testing may be done to reduce risk of passing on genetic or infectious disease of concern in your breed. For example, In my German Wirehairs, I look for OFA or Penn Hip certification, Von Willebrands(Neg). Labradors are commonly certified for hips and eyes, with OFA or Penn Hip and CERF. Ask a top breeder of your type of dog. These sites will help you with the process questions. www.offa.org www.vetupenn.edu/ResearchCenter/pennhip/ and http://www.vmdb.org
Old 09-14-2002, 11:29 AM

Thanks, Guys.