Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New GSP in Iowa--I need help

Old 01-18-2005, 03:37 PM

Default New GSP in Iowa--I need help

Well as the title states I have a new GSP. He is 8 months old given to me buy a breeder in the area. He didn't want him in his breeding stock because of the yellow eyes. He did have him out hunting this fall and seem to pick up on things fast but needs some basic training first. So far she has been a great dog very good personality. This is the first hunting dog I have owned and trained. I am working on the basic training on him right now and have trained 5 other dogs with great success. (come, sit, stay, heal) But they have all been just house dogs. No hunting.
I am looking for any information on some one I can talk to about field training for Pheasants, About the only thing I hunt here.
I know I don't want some one else to train him. And I don't want to spend 1000.00 to do it either. So I am looking for some good books or a trainer to help me out.
I live in the Quad Cities Iowa--Illinois border.
Thanks
Any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:22 AM

Default RE: New GSP in Iowa--I need help

Congratulations on the new dog. I was in your predicament in September of this last year. I hadn't done much training with a pointing dog. I started looking for books on amazon and found a couple that seemed really good. The first is Training Pointing Dogs by Paul Long. This book goes over basics from choosing a pup to a finished dog. Parts of it are FAQ's that he answers. This book uses very humane and cooperative basics for you and your dog. I really liked this book. The other book is Training Pointing Dogs the Delmar Smith Method, some of this book I didn't agree with. There is some good information in it, but this book is for someone that wants to train a field trial dog. Good luck with your new hunting partner.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting
Old 01-19-2005, 06:23 PM

Gun Dog by Richard Wolters is the pointing dog trainers bible, writen in the 60's and the basis for all books since then

also anything by Bill Tarant will be good.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:43 PM

hey silver, the most important thing in pointing dogs is the whoa command..if you can get this down it will save you alot of headaches. i use a form which is a modified barrel technique. i spend 15-20 minutes a day on this and usually have my dogs broke in a couple of weeks. you have to spend time everyday with the dog.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:27 PM

I have heard many people talk about the Whoa command Is this different then the stay command? If so what am I trying to accomplish with this command that is different then the stay command?

Hey BLUEGRASSGSPS
Are you from blue grass Iowa? Just up the road for me. Quad Cities

Thanks for the book ideas I will check out the local book store and see if they have any thing in.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:29 PM

hey silver the whoa command is different than the stay command. its a way to stop your dog in the field, you can use it for many different things. to help steady the dog on point. to teach the dog to back another dog on point. i'm not sure the best way to describe it, but get a book and read about the command, but in my book it is the single most important command in training pointing dogs.

also i'm from kentucky. the bluegrass state
Old 01-21-2005, 07:15 PM

Silver,

The whoa command is to make the dog stand still after the shot, not to get him to point. He should hold point naturally and through training realize he must wait for the gun to get the bird. Also, let off the sit and stay.

If I could give you two things to help you train him, the first is the video from Janet Nahorn "Silent Hunting". They have it on amazon.com. It won't get you a finished dog, but it will show you how to get your pup working birds and holding until you flush with no pressure.

The other is Delmar Smith's book Best Way to Train Your Gunndog.

Go slow, be gentle, get that pup out a bunch. Lay off the heel and sit commands for now. You want a dog that ranges and putting a ton of obedience is not going to help you develop an independent bird dog.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:49 AM

I would have to agree that the WOA! command is important. I have 2 GSP's and they work great together. I have an 8 month old male, and a 7 yr old female. They work great as a team. The young guy is still learning but did very well this season. He has learned to back up the other dogs points. I use a whistle comand along with basic obediance commands and they both listen very well. A shock collar also works wonders because the breed has a very high energy rate. I used a lot of pigeons to help train the young guy. I would drag them across the yard and hid ethem in various places. When he pointed i would tell him WOA! and make sure he froze. If he doesnt freeze, you need to pick him up and put him back in the place he was originally pointing at. Good luck and enjoy! Training dogs can be very difficult at times, and also rewarding. Theres nothing like watching your GSP on his first wild pheasant! From the point to the retrieve its a great feeling!