Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

skin irritations

Old 01-16-2005, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default skin irritations

Jake has had the itchies......his food hasnt changed, nor is dog shampoo, he's frontlined....but he always scratching......but when we first got him, he had done none of this, now he wont stop......got any ideas on why when nothing has changed......his skin doesnt look dry either.....he gets this rash on his belly though, we put some stuff on it and it heals, but he's still got the itchies, please help......his rabies are due in may, i think i'll be making an early appt. so he can be looked at.....but anythign that y'all can help with , please feel freeTHANKS
Old 01-16-2005, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: skin irritations

Dose he stay ,Inside ,outside or both?
If he stays out side much ,has there been any spraying for bugs or weeds ? Not just your yard but where ever he roams.

Have you just washed a area that he likes to lie ? Could be from that .

Has he got a flea colar ? I think flea bites can cause a rash .

Dose he swim in a pool ? My lab has problems if he swims to much in clorinated pools.

Just a few things I thought of , good luck with the rash .
Old 01-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

what about some kind of topical fungus?could he have picked some kind of nasty up somewhere....he got fleas, we sprayed the yard and frontlined him, he has no fleas now that i can see, but the fleas left this rash on him and i think it came from that, though the rash is gone now...then the dog that doesnt like water decided to do a jumping leap off the bridge in this nasty water, shocked me, alligator was right there too, i freaked,i grabbed him, but couldnt get him up, thank God friends were there and helped me get him out of it, the gator just laid there, but the thought of it going into the water scared me to death....the dog likes water now, lol, he fooled me bigtime, i had to make him swim a few times....and when it comes to baths, lol....he gets all emotional, shows his teeth , but will not bite you when you get him, it's like he has to show you his dislike before he gets in ,lol..... he doesnt like the grass either, so he avoids it,he's inside most of the time... no pool, no fleas....we just sprayed the yard , but he started this about 2 weeks prior to that....no flea collar either, we even had to take his regular collar off because he kept scratching......thanks for the reply, it is so much appreciated...
Old 01-16-2005, 11:51 AM

My wifes Cocker had the same problem we had get her allergy medicine and it was worse in the winter with the dry weather. We change dog food because we had to drive 2hrs to get good dog food since our town did not sell Pro-plan. Any way we started feeding Black Gold Premium. Since she has been on the food all the dogs coats have blossomed the labs hardly shed if any at all they used to shed year roundnow I can grab their coat and pull and not strand of hair comes out as for the cocker she doesn't itch any more I am more than pleased with the dog food. If interested check on Black Gold website.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:58 AM

Is the dog exposed to "Carpet Fresh"? I started using that to tone down the doggie smell in my den. Right after that, my lab started scratching continuously.....[] I stopped using the stuff and she got better within just a couple of days.

There is a medication your vet can give you for the scratching called atarax. It will at least ease the itching long enough for the rash to heal.

Hope this helps.....