Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Va hunters please call!!!

Old 01-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Va hunters please call!!!

HB 1612 TARGETS HUNTING W/HOUNDS. HOUNDS CAN BE IMPOUNDED & HOUND OWNERS ARRESTED & PROSECUTED AS MISDEMEANORS. THIS BILL IS SCHEDULED FOR VA. HOUSE FLOOR 1/15/05. CALL DELAGATE COLE (ORIGINATOR OF THIS BILL)@804-698-1088 & 540-752-8200 ; STATE YOUR NAME AND AS A CITIZEN OF VA. YOU ARE OPPOSED TO HOUSE BILL 1612. DON'T DELAY! AS OF 2:00PM. TUES. ONLY 2 PEOPLE HAD CALLED.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...051+sum+HB1612

HOUSE BILL NO. 1612
Offered January 12, 2005
Prefiled December 15, 2004
A BILL to amend and reenact § 18.2-134 of the Code of Virginia, relating to releasing hunting dogs on another landowner’s property; penalty.
—————
Patron— Cole (By Request)
—————
Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
—————
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That § 18.2-134 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:

§ 18.2-134. Trespass on posted property; release of dogs.

A. Any person who goes on the lands, waters, ponds, boats or blinds of another, which have been posted in accordance with the provisions of § 18.2-134.1, to hunt, fish or trap except with the written consent of or in the presence of the owner or his agent shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. It is unlawful for any person to release his dogs on another person’s posted land for the purpose of pursuing, taking, chasing, flushing, or killing game or wild animals, without the landowner’s permission. It shall be a rebuttable presumption that any hunter’s dog found on another’s property not under the control of its owner is in violation of this subsection. A violation of this subsection shall be a Class 4 misdemeanor.

Even if your not a hound hunter please lets stand together... WHile I do not agree with letting dogs loose on someone elses property I do find it wrong that if a hound runs off your property and onto a ajoining piece that you can be charged
Old 01-14-2005, 12:42 PM

Default RE: Va hunters please call!!!

I used to live in VA. I don't care for hounds in the deer woods. I don't mind hunters using hounds on large parcels of land they have permission to be on, but the fellas who drop the tailgate and know they only have legal access to 200 acres need to be reined in a bit. We all know a hound can cover a lot of ground and that hounds can't read. I have friends in VA who'd love to see deerhunting with dogs ended. They get very frustrated with houndsmen who turn loose a pack on small acreage knowing full well the dogs will hunt posted property. That isn't right. I wish I had more encouraging words for you but the problem is now being dealt with by laws as a cure. It's too bad some of the more upstanding houndsmen didn't police their unlawful brethren to prevent what is now trying to happen. I hope you don't take this wrong. I'm not against you but I understand both sides of the issue. Good Luck
Old 01-15-2005, 07:48 PM

Default RE: Va hunters please call!!!

it doesnt say you will get charged if your collecting your dogs it says you will be charged if your hunting with them so im sure if you go on to get your dogs without a gun youll be fine. thats the way theyve handled it already since dogs cant read. but this is a hard one for me cause i cant stand people crossing onto my posted land but i hate to see more laws banning kinds of hunting. this is a tricky sticky situation id say what we have here is a big conundrum.