Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

obedience training???

Old 01-11-2005, 09:02 PM

Default obedience training???

I have a 7 month old female Weimeraner pup, she is also an inside family pet, and we have decided to take her for obedience training, mostly becaue I think she needs someone more experienced in the breed to train her, she is timid when scolded, and doesnt listen to my wife at all. We have two options, 1. to take her to the trainer and leave her with him for 3 weeks, and he will work her every day. Or 2. To take her to him once a week for a two hour session, and be able to work with the trainer on her training. Either way he guarantees her training and will give her brush-ups or sorrect problems later if needed for free. Also, should I wait for her to come into heat for the first time before I take her to train, Ive heard that if shes in heat it can make it harder to work with her for a few weeks, so should I get her first heat over with before she goes? Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: obedience training???

Personally, I really enjoy training my own dog -- BUT, if you need some help, a good Pro is worth more than what they charge.

As far as training during a heat cycle -- ask the pro what he recommends.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:37 AM

I agree with Doc. If you can swing the time, I personally would want to be part of the dogs training. I very large part of the training that will occur at those sessions will be your own training. Your understanding of how a dog works will grow making you better able to handle obedience problems when they arise in your home.

Finding the time to train a dog can be tough, but you owe it to the dog, your wife and yourself to make the effort.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:45 AM

I agree. I would want to be part of the training process. Many times you can find classes that you attend with your dog and a trainer directs you, and tells you how to work with your dog, and offers expert advise on handling what ever situations arrise or correcting problems as they become apparent.

If that isn't practical for you I would definatly speak witht he trainer it seem you already know and find a way to be part of it.

As far as heat goes, Speak with your trainer. It may be a problem for them to board her during that time. However it she hasn't gone into heat yet, and your arn't sure when she will, then you may want to go ahead with training.

Good Luck!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:51 PM

Thanks for your replies, We have already decided to keep her at home and go to weekly training sessions with the professional, like someone said ,partly so we can also be trained on how to work with her. I would like to do all of her training myself, but have never worked with a dog quite like her, she has a very different temperment than Im used to, and I love her attitude about everything more than any dog Ive ever had, but I keep running into obstacles when trying to teach her. She does learn very fast, when I find a way to connect with her on a level she likes, otherwise she doesnt seem to understand what I want of her. I was mostly curious about the training during a heat, and Ill talk with the trainer about his opinion.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dog began Obedience Training when he was just over a yr. old. He actually went thru three sessions...Beginning, Intermediate and finally Advanced Training.

Each course was 8-10 weeks long and I have never regretted spending the time or the money. The trainer focused on the techniques needed to have your dog do what you want him/her to do, but just as important was the training of the handlers. It was a two-way street that was always emphasized each week. It seemed at the time that I had to learn almost as much as my dog. It was a learning experience for us both.

Good Luck to you and you dog.