Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

females in heat

Old 01-04-2005, 09:01 AM

Default females in heat

Does anyone know about when the first heat cycle should occur in Labs?

Also, how often after that?

I have heard anywhere between 6 and 12 months of age for the first heat cycle, then about 3 or 4 months till the next one. Then when things settle down, usually a heat cycle about every 6 months.

Is this correct or have I listened to the wrong people?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:12 AM

Default RE: females in heat

Thats about right however, it realy depends on the dog.
they should go into heat a couple months after they reach adult weight and height. Which is usually between 6-12months. A smaller lab might take longer a larger female may be closer to six months.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:24 AM

Default RE: females in heat

I don't really know why ; but they will get strighted out on there cycle and come in, in the middle of hunting season every year.it seems to always work that way,so you lose them for about 3 weeks durning the season,unless you only have females,then you can hunt them or by them sleves.

I did have one bitch thay someone threw out in my dads yard.she was a real good hunter.I hunted her for 4 years (she was an older dog when we got her)and though she was spaded and then she came in and gave me pups.