Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Help with Gun-shy dog

Old 12-29-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Help with Gun-shy dog

I have a yellow lab that's gun shy.
Fireworks from the 4th started the problem.

Any ideas on how to cure this problem?
Old 12-29-2004, 02:52 PM

Default RE: Help with Gun-shy dog

Ooooh, the fireworks probably weren't much help. But what's done is done and so you have to move on. Try a cap gun right before and during feeding time. Even while the dog is eating. At feed time, pop the gun from a distance away but still where the dog can see you bringing food. Better yet, have someone else fire the gun and you be with the dog, playing with him. Give him the food and walk a ways off and fire the cap gun while he's chompin' away...all the while giving him praise. You may even use special treats with the cap gun such as some fried bacon or a toy he loves. If this doesn't work, you can get a tape that plays music and eventually fades off into gun shots...you play it around the dog...I forget where you get them, though. At any rate, I have heard of some guys believing the tendency to be gunshy is genetic...not the actual gunshyness, but the "tendency" to be a nervous dog anyway, so that when firecrackers are popped off the dog could associate the noise with fear. You have to reassociate the dog with the noise to where he associates the noise with something desirable, like food, toys, or if he already has a heart for it, hunting. Don't get a whiny voice, and say..."Oh it's okay puppy" when he worries. All he hears is the voice you use when you are loving on him for being a good dog, and so he thinks being frantic is okay. Act like you don't even hear the noise, or just say "good dog" when he stands normal showing no fear. If he shows fear, whatever you do, don't use a praising tone, he'll think he's doing good. Just act normal.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

"Coon River Kennels" has a good article. I don't have the link but a search should come up with it.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: losthwy

"Coon River Kennels" has a good article. I don't have the link but a search should come up with it.
Mark's site is www.coonriverkennels.com Then look down in the lower left (I think) for the link.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:50 AM

I have a 6 month black lab. I thought she was going to be gunshy. It all started when she was just a little puppy. We were all outside and some very loud motorcycles came by. It scared the pee out of her. LITERALLY! She was in the yard and came running, jumped in my lap, and sprinkled a little pee.

After that she would run and hide at any loud noise. I was so upset. I tried the cap gun thing. She would quit eating! I felt so bad. Then I started hanging around (at a distance) where other dogs were being worked with dummy launchers or shotguns. She finally got used to it. She loves the gunshot now. SHe is steady looking for something to fall.

I took her dove hunting on Christmas afternoon. It was her first real hunt of any sort. She did very good I thought.

I don't believe that she learned by seeing the other dogs, but maybe by seeing that it was not going to hurt her helped. It's a mystery to me.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:18 AM

Mine was gunshy to start with.I just started shooting primer caps in my ml out back while she was inside.Anytime, no warning and just acted like no big deal when I came in.She would see the gun and hide at first but after a few days I started making her sit while I went out to shoot it.Then I took her outside too and made her sit.Now she doesn't act scared at all and I can shoot right next to her.I shoot every day before throwing the dummy for her to retrieve.So far patience has been the biggest thing....