Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Guesting regarding Viszlas

Old 12-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Guesting regarding Viszlas

Not even sure i spelled it right lol but i was curious, is this breed an pointer or a retriever?

Reason asking is i was looking up on imformation about it because its a handsome dog and i heard its a great hunter/family dog but didn't tell me if what type of hunting skills it had. Thank you in advance
Old 12-02-2004, 05:16 PM

Default RE: Guesting regarding Viszlas

It is a pointing dog originating from Hungary.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:41 PM

Incredible stamina and especially used in grasslands, meadows and forests. Coat is short and smooth and makes movement in deep cover very easy. Can be high strung so be very careful to make sure you determine if you want a hunter or a show dog. For whatever reason, they are fairly good indoors when older but I have heard they can be difficult to house train. My impression is they have high trainability and a soft mouth.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:45 PM

They are versatiles like a GSP, or German Wirehaired Pointer, bred to point and retrieve. They are nice dogs, but a little "soft" and slower to mature. Personality wise, they seem to be more "clingy" like a lab and less aloof like a lot of other pointers. A nice dog worth consideration, but most guys I know with Viszlas do not start formal training for the first year of life, so if you are a hurry up kind of person who is a little rough as a trainer, I would not get a Viszla.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:50 PM

Got a Vizsla from the Humane society this year. Here is my experience so far.
1. Very loyal to me -- the feeder, walker, etc.
2. Can be timid at times when voiced raised...rolls over on his back in submissive position.
3. Very high strung when he's been alone during the day or outside alone for a while.
4. Took him out hunting just to get used to field and gun. Ranged, but closely. Listened well when call back. Not gunshy at all. Retrieved the first bird I shot.
5. Loves to point.
6. Will probably have a professional finish him.