Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Help With New Lab Puppy

Old 11-30-2004, 12:18 PM

Default Help With New Lab Puppy

I recently got a new lab pup. He is 11 weeks old. I have started basic obedience with him and have tried to start on his retrieving skills. He has really taken to the obedience work. He is pretty steady with sit, stay, and down. The first two weeks he retrieved very well, recently he has started picking up the dummy and running away with it or running to the dummy, smelling it and running back to me. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to handle this. My hope is to make him a PL. The Knutson book is on its way. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:07 PM

Default RE: Help With New Lab Puppy

Don't know if you can "make" a PL unless he came from PL stock. Try retrieving only once or twice a day. Throw it, He brings it back, PRAISE, Quit. Do it later that day same procedure. If you've never trained a dog before I encourage you to take it easy till the book gets to you. Come is the first command I show a puppy.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

I would try to get him excited with the dummy, make it fun, and keep it simple and short. No more than three retrieves.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:33 PM

well we have a PL but, honestly we dont care if he points or not, labs are great flushers, but anywayz, what we did was get the pheasant scent, put it on a ball or a stick, or w/e you throw for him. We used a ball, and let me tell you, he loves to play ball! so i would use a ball, and if he brings it back to you, throw the ball immediately, so the dog will see that if he brings it back to you, the more fun it is cause then you'll throw it right away. well at least thats what worked for our dog.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:16 PM

TIME TIME TIME The pup is only 11 weeks old. Just keep trying , he's going to do it eventually on accident. when that happens GIVE HIM LOTS of praise. at first he won't understand why. but one he gets this praise for doing it right . Most dogs don't really catch on good till they are about 6 months or so. just keep working with him and time will take care of the rest.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whoa there fella. Slow down. At 11 weeks, your pup is still a BABY.
Wait for the arrival of some training books before you get too worried about what you have described.

Right now, all of your retrieves (not more than 3 or 4 at a time -- a couple times a day) should be done in a hallway.

You can't turn a Flushing Lab into a Pointing Lab. Pointing is genetic, not a trained behavior. You can train a Flushing Lab to Stand Game, but standing game is not the same as pointing.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

I would also recommend Jackie Mertens "Sound Beginnings" a very good video for the training of puppies. It will help you lay the foundations a young dog will need.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:01 AM

Thanks for all the input. I guess I'm just a little to excited. I'm learning as I go. Retrieving in the hallway sounds like a great idea, I never thought of that,thanks Doc . I'm sure he'll catch on quick. FYI, my pup is from pointing stock, so hopefully we'll learn together.

I'm glad I found this board!!! I'm sure I'll be a frequent visitor. Thanks again.