Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Has Anyone Ever Sent Their Dog Away for Training?

Old 06-26-2002, 06:47 PM

Default Has Anyone Ever Sent Their Dog Away for Training?

I'm thinking about sending my GSP away for some training and I'm looking for some advice.

What have your experiences been when you've done it?

What should I ask or look for so I know they won't screw up my dog.

I'd rather work with someone than send her away, but I live in Chicago and there aren't many gun dog trainers within easy reach.

Thanks for your help.

Solid Liver
Old 06-28-2002, 12:18 PM

Default RE: Has Anyone Ever Sent Their Dog Away for Training?

I have a 17 month old male gsp and I sent him for one month with a local trainer when he was 15.5 months old. I was leary at first but I knew he needed some better whoa training then I was giving him. I already had him doing everything else but I was getting a little burned out and there is tons of stuff I needed to get done around the house. So I sent him to a gentlemen who I had already met with and sized up and he was exactly what I was looking for. He didn't sell me any BS and he believed in the slower approach vs. force/speed training. I was staying away from anyone who was going to put alot of pressure on my pup since TIME was not a concern to me as much as quality training and a happy pup. Well he did great and he got my pup started on whoa and now it is up to me to pursue it and add distractions to tune it. Also, this trainer told me right away that the first week with the pup will be bonding with absolutely no training, just fun (which I liked). I guess the main thing with me was not money but the well being of my pup which I am sure is everyones concern. My wife wasn't too keen on the idea at first since he is our child to us, but after I took her to meet the trainer and see his place she finally felt better. Now that we have him back we can see he did some maturing and self growth while he was there in that short time since he didn't have his momma spoiling him. It was definately a bonus and gave us sometime to breath. Hope this helps.

Old 07-20-2002, 02:31 PM

I sent my dog to http://www.perfectionkennel.com/ just north of KC.
THE BEST PEOPLE in the world as far as I know. I sent my 5 month (at the time) Gordon Setter to them for a month last year. It was EXTREMELY rewarding to see my dog play with them while I visited them. I knew they were extremely gently with him because Shadow loved both of the trainers (it's a wife-and-husband operation). They have a extended training session when they take dogs up to SD for training.
They were extremely resonable (400/month) which if you were to simply board your dog somewhere, it would cost you 10-15 dollars a day anyways...
I'd give them a call. Tell them Shadow said HI!

Old 07-20-2002, 05:06 PM

$400 a month? I called a local kennel about working my dog, and they wanted $485 for 10 days. Needless to say they didn't get any of my money.

Old 07-20-2002, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was too young to remember but when we had our old springer spaniel (his name was Radar)to a 'dog camp' and if i recall they did a great job on training him. I'd go with whatever 'camp' has the best word on it from other people in here.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Live to hunt, hunt to live, be the eyes of the hawk <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

&quot;Radar&quot;
1978-1993
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Fetch the big birds in the sky <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 07-23-2002, 08:36 AM

Hi, I also live in the Chicago area, and just added a GSP pup to my family. This breeder was highly reocommended from a gentalman I met at a wingshooting clinic. He is located in Bristol Wisconsin, just across the border. He also trains the dogs as well, but recommends that they be between 5-6 months old. If you visit the website www.sundancekennels.com it should help you out alot.

Eric
Old 08-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Check the N.A.V.H.D.A. web site for a chapter near you . AS a member of this club I can tell you that this is the way to go, as other more experienced owners/handlers help you to train your dog .
Old 08-07-2002, 05:47 PM

I hunt my two wirehairs from September to February, work them on released birds and yard training March to May, and take them fishing with me or hiking in the mountains June, July. In August the dogs go away for a month of training. I have a good rapport with their trainer, and she knows the dogs as well as I do. By the opening of blue grouse season, the dogs are very sharp. The summer months are too hot to train and I need a break from my dogs once in a while. If you know wirehairs, you know what I mean. It works for me and my dogs.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-09-2002, 09:59 AM

I sent my Labs to a semi-pro in my area he did a great job I had some references & spent a day working with him BEFORE I sent the dogs for a week. As a matter of fact they're going back for a preseason work out since I'm not going to be home until late season. It was good money well spent plus he trained me too. Dan

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Ever Sent Their Dog Away for Training?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.