Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Argentine Dogos

Old 08-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Default Argentine Dogos

Argentine Dogos.....Anyone know abo...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey folks,

I have been thinking about a new pup for a few months as my son and I are ready for a new one. We have been offered by my cousin an Argentine Dogos for free.... These are sold for 5 to 6 hundred bucks as a rule and were originally bred to hunt and track. As a rule to Boar hunt. The males can grow very big, {I would not have a female}....anyway the males can grow up to 150lbs on occaision. All the research I have done points me in the direction that this will make a wonderful addition to the family here, especially since we already have on Wolf and a Wolf/Hybrid. The pup is only 8 weeks old... Sheesh!! Anyone familier with this breed??? Any and all help would be appreciated. Going to post this in the Hunting dog forum too. Thanks for any and all replies....
Old 08-22-2004, 06:52 AM

Default RE: Argentine Dogos

Don't know bout that breed Christine , do you have any pic's?
150 lbs. would be a big dog to take care of.not to mention the feed he would eat,(you could feed it the BAD neighbors[8D]).

hope you luck in getting him.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:51 AM

Actually I think that is the breed of dog that killed the woman outside of her apartment a couple of years ago.
Dont think I would go there.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:49 AM

Actually I think that is the breed of dog that killed the woman outside of her apartment a couple of years ago.
Dont think I would go there.
I thought that was a mastiff.

In case you don't find my other one, here is a link to a thread on accuratereloading, this guy is nuts about these dogs..
http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubb...5&o=31&fpart=1
Old 08-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

J3k, Thanks for that link just got through reading it. If you are a member of that forum would you mind sending me a PM with that fella's email as I would like to discuss the aspects of owning one that will not be used for hunting with him. I would appreciate it. Everything I have found on the net talks about them being very intelligent and good family dogs.

Treeclimber, I already have a full Wolf that weighs in at 130 lbs and is a beast for sure....but he is a *****cat at 7 years old and very family oriented. One of those " once in a lifetime" animals. My 17 year old hybrid is not going to be around much longer. He is deaf now, and going blind but still a very special boy.

I have been doing alot of reading on Dogos and talked to my cousins husband about them. He is from New Zealand and loves this breed however, I would like to talk to others that have some first hand info as opposed to the good things I have read. Thanks for the replies folks they are very much appreciated.
And the breed that killed that woman in CA was I believe a Bull Mastiff, but I may be mistaken. And Dogos are often called Argentine Mastiffs....but they look like huge boxers.

Old 08-22-2004, 12:31 PM

No,

The breed that killed that woman in her apartment were Presa Canario, or Canary Island Bulldogs. They are similar to pit bulls only much larger, very aggressive etc., i.e. a typical fighting dog.

The Dogo Argentino is as its name implies, a breed from Argentina. It is, essentially the Argentine pit bull dog, and is a fighting dog in personality and make up. My personal opinion on dogs such as this, I would never own any of the "bull dog" types with small children in the house. Might consider it otherwise. I know people say, well...its how they were raised, to which I reply, yes, but they are still ANIMALS, and even the most placid animal can have its moments. With a dog whose jaws are that powerful, any incident has the potential to become tragic with a child involved.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:38 PM

You are right~they were Presa's. Sorry guys...gotta get my memory chip fixed!
Bec
Old 08-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

AlaskaMagnum, I agree as my son will be six this December but has been a "pack" member here with our Wolf and Wolf/ hybrid since he was born. Those animals although they do get bad press, and are outlawed in several states are Wonderful animals to have...NOPE, Not for everyone but I have raised them and had them as pets for over 30+ years. To be very honest and frank...they are the best I have ever had. Awesome animals although not for everyone. It takes a special person to understand as they are very different from "dogs". ....I have some quesitons and emails out as a double check on this breed of dog, the Argentine Dogo. Not to mention I dol not believe alll that I read. Just wanting some answers here is all. Thanks again as it is very much appreciated!

Christine
Old 08-22-2004, 03:58 PM

Any GOOD breeder will tell you the good AND the bad of breed. No dog is perfect for every family...they should be willing to tell you that.
Find a breeder that will give you the full story and you might havesomeone that is breeder that wil help you with any problems that you may face down the road.
Good luck.
Bec
Old 08-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Vizsla Lady, I want to thank you so much for the email you sent. I phoned both breeders today. Was very unimpressed with the one in Fl....no offence to my Fl friends. Just felt that this guy was also into fighting them....that was all he seemed to talk about is what good fighting dogs they were. Needless to say I made that conversation very short!!

I then talked to the lady in TX, she was an absolute jewel!! Gave me much more insight than all of my research has done...she obviously loves these animals. But she also has other livestock and critters that they get along with very well. In addition she gave me names of families that have purchased "companion dogs" from her as references for the breed. She starts her's out with a 1500 dollar price tag, up to 3500!!! []

So.... I am going to meet this male pup, rather my son and I will tomorrow evening. I will have him checked for deafness by our vet as with all White dogs that can be a genetic problem perhaps. And with all I have found out.....don't see how I could go wrong with getting this pup. Aside from the fact that it means another baby in the family for a couple of years. We shall see as I still have much thinking to do and another breeder to talk to about them.

Thank you all again for all of your replies!!

Quick Reply: Argentine Dogos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.