Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

GSP Only Retrieves Fetching Dummy

Old 08-18-2004, 07:23 AM

Default GSP Only Retrieves Fetching Dummy

My GSP has been really slow at perfecting her retrieve. A big part of the problem has been me not having enough time to work with her. But she's finally come around and will retrieve her fetching dummy to my hand every time. The problem is that if I throw something different she doesn't seem to think the same rules apply. And this applies to birds too. I'd like to try to figure out how to make her understand that she needs to fetch up anything that I throw (or shoot). I'm not sure how to teach her that connection without spending the outrageous amount of time it took to get her to this point.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GSP Only Retrieves Fetching Dummy

How old is your dog?
Have you introduced her to a live wing-clipped pigeon?
If your dog is OVER 6 or 7 months, and obedience is 99.99% solid, you should Force Fetch her.

What training program are you following?
Old 08-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree force retrieves will teach a dog to fetch anything . I used it on my lab , he will now fetch anything I throw or shoot .
Old 08-18-2004, 10:48 PM

NO, NO, NO, terrible adivice.

Do NOT force fetch a 6 month old GSP. They are not the same mentally as retrievers and are not ready for this type of training. Most bird dog guys will not FF a pointer until they are 12 months old.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:46 PM

Solid liver

I would agree with Doc E if your dog is 6 months old or better with solid obedience. I have used the Dobbs/Tri tronics method of training on a 8 month old German Wirehair, and a 12 month old brittany.(Both males) I will tell you upfront that it takes time and patience(6 weeks of daily work if things go well) but your dog will fetch anyting from a bumper to a 12 pound goose. Check out almost any sporting dog retailer and they should have the two tapes. The first on goes over the "Hold" command and the second deals with the "Fetch" command. I ordered mine from Lion County Supply.
Good luck and happy hunting

Huntermag
Old 08-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

I agree at least 12months old. My GSP is 4 this year and I would have swore she would have been a natural retriever. As a tennis ball is her constant companion. I have close friend who is proffessional trainer he told me she can quit me at any time if she makes her mind up to. Every bird I shot last year she would find it pick it up and look at me then spit it out. Blew me away. I was thinking is this the same dog that I took on a dove shoot at 9 months of age. So guess what. Trained retrieve it is!