Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

ESS: Flush or Point Training?

Old 08-04-2004, 02:05 PM

Default ESS: Flush or Point Training?

I have an English Springer Spaniel. I want to hunt both Quail and Pheasant. It seams that some think that a Springer should only be trained as a flushing dog but a trainer from Perfection Kennels said that I should be able to train her to point.
What is the prefered type of training for Quail and Pheasant together? And, What do you think about pointer training a Springer?
Old 08-04-2004, 06:27 PM

Default RE: ESS: Flush or Point Training?

If you really want a pointer, I would think you would have bought a pointing breed. Springer's are smart enough to be taught to "lock" upon locating a bird ..... but why would you want to train against instincts that have been honed for generations?

Guys have shot millions of pheasant and quail that have been flushed by a Springer. Of course if you really want your ESS to point .. I'd tell the guy from Perfection Kennels to do it first .. and collect payment upon you receiving a true pointing Springer.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:28 AM

I actually bought the dog because I had one as a kid. I didn't really put any thought into hunting her until a friend got me interested. She is a field breed and is birdy. I have had her in the field flushing quail already but just wasn't sure if that was the best training for quail.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:08 PM

Why not let the dog dictate to you what she wants to be. I use Chessies, and both of my dogs will "lock" on birds that choose to sit instead of run. Yes, they are flushers, but it's a system that works very well for me. No , I didn't train them to do so, but I have honed it to some degree.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think chessies are beautiful......i have labs, but i would like a chessie, i always thought they were hard headed. As for quail i would want a pointer, and for pheasant a flusher, just my preference.