Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

pointing lab

Old 06-22-2004, 06:32 PM

Default pointing lab

I've heard of pointing labs? is this true? I though labs were just for retreiving in water for ducks and geese. Because I was in the backyard with my black lab puppy where there is longer grass. He smells around and puts his nose in the grass and his front paw back, his tail is also straight. I walk over and he just gets out of position and smells around some more? whats going on?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pointing lab

ORIGINAL: balcklab1

1. I've heard of pointing labs? is this true?

2. I though labs were just for retreiving in water for ducks and geese.

3. Because I was in the backyard with my black lab puppy where there is longer grass. He smells around and puts his nose in the grass and his front paw back, his tail is also straight. I walk over and he just gets out of position and smells around some more?

4. whats going on?
1. Yup it's true -- click on the link in my signature.

2. Untrue

3. Cool -- how old is the pup?

4. About 10% of Labs from non-pointing ancestry will point. If you want to enhance (train for) the trait, go to amazon.com and do a search for "The Pointing Labrador", by Paul and Julie Knutson -- buy the book and follow it step by step.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:21 PM

Yep! I have a female white pointing lab that is 15 months old and she is a blast!! She points, flushes, retrieves on upland and works as a "normal" lab on waterfowl.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:01 PM

I take it you have never heard of me???
Old 06-23-2004, 05:08 PM

Pointing labs are in my opinion one of the most versatile dogs. We all know that labs make great pets, and lets face it, most "hunting dogs" are pets most of the time. I have several people ask me what makes the "breed" different. Nothing really except they have developed a genetically carried behaviour. Pointing, in its true form cannot be taught, freezing or holding upon locating a bird can be sometimes taught.