Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

black lab puppy

Old 06-16-2004, 10:22 AM

Default black lab puppy

I have a problem with my 10 week old black lab. When i take him out in the woods on the trail I made, he stays right with me. On the way back out of the woods (I take the same trail back) he runs way ahead of me all the way home. I call his name and whistle but he just keeps going. I find him waiting at the doorstep. What could I do to keep him with me in the woods?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:33 AM

Default RE: black lab puppy

A leash.

Seriously, the pup is only 10 weeks old. A leash is a good way to keep him from running off before you have trained him the "standards". Sit, Stay, Come, and Heel.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well that is good he stays with you at first but its bad if he is going to be a bird dog, because i had a lab that would not leave my side he would go up about 20yds and come back, made me so darn mad. I would reccomend a shock collar, he may be too young now, but that shock collar is the trick man, try a leash first like ma jay said, then move him up to the collar, you also have to think what are u wanting this dog to be? What he is doing is hunting and he just doesnt know what u want him to do which is come back so it just takes time, good luck friend and god bless.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:45 PM

If you had a squirrel dog like my 13 week old mountain cur, you'd be in luck to have him rangin' out so early. However, he is still such a pup. My 13 week cur doesn't come just like he's supposed to yet, either, but I'm not worried, yet. He'll get it soon. I'd say let him be a pup for another two weeks before really getting after it. Sit, down, and come are good for this age, but something like staying heeled is still a little tough for a pup, and even then they go through phases.
Your best bet is to teach the come command hard core right now, and never, NEVER compromise, even if you have to catch him and walk him back to where you were, especially for a bird dog. I've heard to be really careful with those shock collars, as they can ruin a dog with overuse. If you try it, wait til he's bigger than he is now. But then, when he doesn't come give a light stimulation and hold it until he makes a motion toward you, then let off. If he turns away again, light 'em back up.
I still say teach the come command with something like a choke or prong collar. Call his name and give a light pop. When he gets to you give a reward here and there, not every time. He'll get it, labs are good learners. Good luck. But also, labs can be pups a little longer than some other dogs, I've heard, so patience, patience, patience. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:48 PM

I will add, though, that if done right, Turkey Fan is right about those shock collars, they're proven and stood by by many houndsman and tree dog handlers, I know.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:59 AM

[:@]NO, on the shock collar at 10 weeks. Get a leash. He is just excited about getting back home. You have to let him be a puppy first. Give him lots of praise and treats when you are training him to do basic things like sit, stay, come. A dog has one goal in life and that is to make YOU happy. I would NOT recommend a shock collar on anything but as a last resort. My black lab learned all the commands with a little work at first. They get tired of it easily, so make it like a game and be patient. The only time I had to use a shock collar on her was when she got after deer or varmaints in the yard and would not respond to the command "come". I only shocked her three times and she was at least a year old. Now, no matter what she is doing, if I tell her to "come", she comes immediately.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:55 AM

Newbie here! I have to agree with DH56, before correction can be applied with the collar, yardwork (OB) has to be complete, such as heel, sit,sit@ remote,and here. best done with a 12-15 foot leadrope, needs to understand 100% vocal, whistle, and hand commands before you can proceed to CC, remember, the collar is a tool, not a weapon.

10 weeks! he is still a puppy, I usually don't start OB until they are 5-6 months old, and still, there attention span is not very long, 10-15 mins is about it! GOOD LUCK
Old 06-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

Teach the basics in the yard or in the house. At this age if you're in good health a pup can't out run you so make sure you don't let the little pup get away with anything. If you're physicly handicap use a check cord. Plenty of tlc and praise. Keep it simple and not too much pressure on a youngster.