Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Breaking a dog from barking

Old 05-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Breaking a dog from barking

My wife says there's this thing you plug in and it emits a high freqency sound when the dog barks and will make him stop. Has anyone heard of this? It cannot be worn around his neck, But can be installed on my shed about ten feet from him. Thank you for any input.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:33 PM

Default RE: Breaking a dog from barking

NEVER HEARD OF ONE BUT A TRI TRONICS BARK ELIMINATOR WORKS GREAT.

ZEUS THE BLKLAB
Old 05-21-2004, 05:21 AM

as blklab said;or a water hose works great.I took a hose with a spray nossel aimed it at the pen the dog is in,tied it down where it can't move,and put a lever handle off and on switch(one that you just pull and it is fully open).when the dog barks I just pull the handle.the spray will get him and he doesn't see you;so he doesn't know you did it.you should tell him in a firm voice to "NO".you have to be consistant with it.
the collar is the only other way I know.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

Water does work, dogs like people hate to get sprayed in the face..
Old 05-21-2004, 02:29 PM

I've never heard of a plug-in unit, although it wouldn't surprise me if something like this exists. There are however several collars that emit a high frequency sound that you can buy. You can check Foster's & Smith to check prices (do a google search). They also have collars that spray water and well as give a mild shock. All the collars may work just fine or they may not work, but it is the only thing short of removing the vocal cords that I know of that may work without behavioral modification.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:09 PM

I used a bark collar with my dog when I first got him. He was used to being kenneled with 3 or 4 other dogs so being alone was achange for him. It worked great. He only tested it a few times before he learned the consequence of barking. After that I never had a problem. I have heard of some dogs learning when the collar is on and off and barking when it is not left on. I didn't have that problem though. Any way, good luck!
Old 05-23-2004, 07:13 AM

Innotek also makes a good bark collar called the BC-100 (the model number may have changed since I bought mine a few years ago). It has 7 different stimulation levels which lets you tailor the electric stimulation to your dog's temperment. Bark collars are the only way to go in my book, if you really want to stop the barking.
I used the bark collar for about a month when my dog was younger. Now he only barks when he has a legitimate reason to.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:14 PM

Innotek also makes a good bark collar called the BC-100
I have this collar too. I didn't have as good of results though. It "limited" my dogs barking, but did not completely cure the problem. He will still bark, just not as often. I wonder if the Tritronics is a little stronger?
Old 05-23-2004, 10:11 PM

I own the tri tronics and have a lrg blklab that barked non stop. The first collar I had was an innoteck it was junk, I guess thats why they call them Innojunck. The TT Bark Limiter did the trick. Zeus will not make a sound when it is around his neck. I leave it on him for a couple days with out power on, and it will keep him quiet for weeks. It was by far one of my smarter investivments for the dog and peace and quiet time in the neighborhood.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:24 AM

I had a problem with all my dogs in the kennel barking when they would see other dogs or the deer would get up wind from the kennel.when an ambulance or police car came by screaming.
I ran an electric fence wire (not hot;just to pull on)from my bedroom window to the kennel through the trees.I put a board under the roof of the kennel and attached the wire to the end of the board,so when I pulled on the wire it would jerk the board up and slap the tin roof,making a loud bang on the roof.that would stop the barking at once.
you may try something like that,if the water doesn't help.

It is about 100 yards to my kennel,the wire through the trees works every time.fix something like that on your fence next to the neighbors property line.

I cut small portions of pvc pipe and attached them to the trees and ran the wire through that so the wire could slide freely.put a small pully at the end and attacth the wire to a small rope through the pully so it will roll.the board had a weight on it so it wll fall back down after each pull(ready for another pull)

this takes a little work;but mine has been up for years and years and still works.
You need to put the wire up in the trees about 12 to 14 feet so you can drive under it with out hanging on it.

good luck with your problem.

Quick Reply: Breaking a dog from barking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.