Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Training Info

Old 05-10-2004, 03:37 PM

Default Training Info

I have a german shorthair pup that I will pick up in June. I was hoping someone could share some info on good training books or videos. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:26 AM

Default RE: Training Info

2 words. SHOCK COLLAR. Just dont abuse it. when they get stubborn and run away or resuse to listen, call them a few times, or tell them what you want them to do(after they already know what heel, or sit means and they are being stubborn.) If they refust to cooperate or keep running zap-em. They learn very fast. I have only had to get my dog with it about 8 times total and havent had to shock him in 3 or 4 months.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:38 PM

i totally agree with the shock collar,i used one to break a few coonhounds,and im a firm believer that you can teach a dog to do anything,i mean anything with shock collar,just dont over do it or abuse it.good luck
Old 05-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure if you are lookin for Field Training or Obedience Training. I spent time with my dog at formal obedience training and he progressed from beginning thru intermediate to advanced training. He is a two yr old Springer Spaniel that has been trained without the use of a shock collar. I am not against folks that want to use them, but I elected not to use one and he is so well trained it was suggested he enter AKC Obedience Competition. My Springer will begin his hunting training this summer and I was told he must be obedience trained before he can take that next step. He is ready. Whatever you decide, I wish you the Best......
Old 05-20-2004, 03:59 PM

Shock collars should not be used just to be used. Some dogs don't need to be shocked. I have 2 D.K right now one has a collar the other doesn't. Every dog is different. Also IMO a dog should be at least a yr old before a collar should be used. It give you time to decide if the dog needs it or not and gives the dog the time to learn all the commands you want to reenforce. The E-collar will do you no good if the dog does not know the commands 100% all you will get is a messed up dog.

I would recommend contacting N.A.V.H.D.A and getting the green book this will take you step by step on how to train a hunting dog. If you join the club their are a lot of well informed people will to help you train your dog. I also like Dobb's ecollar training. you can find info on the web bye doing a search.

Good luck with your pup and let it be a pup.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:46 PM

bEFORE YOU PUT A E COLLAR ON YOUR DOG, HE MUST A WORKING KNOWLEDGE OF THE COMMANDS YOU WANT HIM TO KNOW, tHEY DO NOT HAVE TO BE 100% BUT HE OR SHE NEEDS TO BE RELIABLE. I ALSO KNOW LOTS OF LABS AND POINTERS THAT ARE YOUNGER THAN A YEAR OLD AND HAVE BEEN THROUGH CC AND ARE GREAT RETRIEVERS AND POINTERS. I WOULD ALSO SUGGEST TO DON'T JUST BUY A COLLAR AND PUT IT ONT HE DOG AND THEN START SHOCKING HIM, YOU WILL RUIN THE DOG. PLACE THE COLLAR ON THE DOG FOR SEVERAL WEEKS. THIS WILL CONDITION THE DOG IN HAVING SOMTHING AROUND HIS NECK. LEAVE IT ON HIM IN THE KENNEL AND EVEN WHEN HE IS OUT OF THE KENNEL. PURCHASE OR BORROW A COLLAR CONDITIONING BOOK OR VIDEO. I WOULD SUGGEST MIKE LARDY'S VIDEOS. I HAVE ALSO HEARD THE DOBBS STUFF IS VERY GOOD. IF ALL ELSE FAILS CONSULT SOMONE WHO HAS COLLAR CONDITIONED A DOG. THE ECOLLAR CAN BE A GREAT ASSET IN TRAINING BUT IF NOT USED RIGHT IT WILL RUIN YOUR PRIZED DOG. BE CAREFUL AND HAVE FUN.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:10 AM

I would strongly suggest the NAVHDA "GREEN BOOK" and companion video. You can order it at NAVHDA Website
The sight has a ton of info, I also suggest looking for a club in your area and joining.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:04 PM

It should be a rule, that if you are not able to train a dog without one .. you shouldn't be allowed to own a "Shock Collar". Since you are asking about books and/or video's I am assuming you are new to training bird dogs.

Anyone who thinks it is a cure all, or makes training easier ... is totally uninformed. In the right hands, or with a dog that that knows what it is supposed to be doing but has developed a bad habit .. they can be very helpful. In the wrong hands they are evil, and it's sickening to watch.

Buy the book or the video first!!!!! Spend hours .. and then even more time working with your dog before even considering it.

The sight recommended above is a good, consider finding a local Field Trial and attending as a spectator. You'll find knowledgeable dog people, and may even locate some local people who can gide you and your new dog.