Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

When to Switch to Puppy to Adult food in Labradors?

Old 04-17-2004, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default When to Switch to Puppy to Adult food in Labradors?

Wondering when to switch my male lab from puppy food over to adult?
Old 04-17-2004, 08:57 AM

Default RE: When to Switch to Puppy to Adult food in Labradors?

Most say to feed them puppy food till they are a year old.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:34 AM

up to a year is what i generally tell people. I would say that is a safe cutoff in Labs.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:20 PM

mine is just turning a year and i am changing to adult. you may want to take it slow and mix for a little while to prevent any feeding or digestive problems.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

12 to 18 months is about right.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Spike

A year old is the perfect time.. Just remember to gradually switch over instead of all at once. Your pup's digestive system will be much better off on a gradual change-over.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

again, 1 year is better than any other time,. however, it won't hurt it if you go a couple more months... it also depends on the breed, but that should work with labs...
Old 05-01-2004, 08:09 PM

I have found it best to switch partially at least to a high quality adult food when the pups are ten or twelve weeks old. I don't like the pups to grow too fast or get too heavy or heavy boned when they are young. Adult food will slow the growth rate a little so I feed a cup of puppy in the morning and whatever the pup wants beyond that is a 26% protien adult food.
This has always worked well over the years with the hunting dogs we have raised. And I'm convinced it stresses the bones and joints a lot less when they are young and pliable.

Ezzy
Old 05-02-2004, 12:47 AM

As most have said....at a year, unless he is thin, then continue on.

I have found it best to switch partially at least to a high quality adult food when the pups are ten or twelve weeks old. I don't like the pups to grow too fast or get too heavy or heavy boned when they are young. Adult food will slow the growth rate a little so I feed a cup of puppy in the morning and whatever the pup wants beyond that is a 26% protien adult food.
This has always worked well over the years with the hunting dogs we have raised. And I'm convinced it stresses the bones and joints a lot less when they are young and pliable.

Ezzy
Actually by doing what you suggest, Ezzy, you could seriously harm your pets. Adult dog food doesn't have the appropriate nutrition (vitamins and minerals) that a growing dog needs. Keeping your puppy on an adult food could predispose your dogs to serious health issues such as hip dysplasia, various bone disorders (especially in larger dogs), skin problems, etc. You may have never seen a problem to date, but if you keep it up, its only a matter of time.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

I get so much conflicting info, there does seem to be much confusion on this matter (I'm confused). 4 months to 18 months, puppy food to large breed puppy. There is some info I have seen that mentions calcium and phosphorus amounts are key.???????????

Quick Reply: When to Switch to Puppy to Adult food in Labradors?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.