Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Looking for Hound info.

Old 04-14-2004, 06:59 PM

Default Looking for Hound info.

I like to hear from some hound hunters about what they think it takes to make a cat hound. I'd like to find a pup or started dog to start with. I mainly want to run bobcats and coons. I live in Colorado right now but am moving to Wyoming soon. If there's any hound out with info. I'd like to hear from you. rooster
Old 04-14-2004, 07:11 PM

Default RE: Looking for Hound info.

I like to hear from some hound hunters about what they think it takes to make a cat hound. I'd like to find a pup or started dog to start with. I mainly want to run bobcats and coons. I live in Colorado right now but am moving to Wyoming soon. If there's any hound out with info. I'd like to hear from you. rooster
..well its just like training for coon hunting.......if you like hunting them bobcats.....you need to try to catch some bobcats in a live trap....then you need to order some bobcat scent.....order a drag to.....put the scent on the drag. and fool with the pup .......the pup will get the hang of it..........well if you won't to hunt coons.....catch some coons in a live trap.......let the pup bay the coons......i always turn the coon loose and let the pup see the coon go thru the woods then i turn the pup loose...makes him use his nose....he will start treeing preety quick give it some time......and another way is put some coon scent on the drag and drag the drag in front of the puppy......and another way to train your hound is run the pup with the older dogs.....its gonna be hard to find a pack of old hounds that tree bobcats all the time......but there will be know problem finding some coon hunters....run the pup with the older dogs....he will learn.........good luck.........
Old 04-15-2004, 08:48 AM

Default RE: Looking for Hound info.

We run them with Running Walkers, Triggs, Croghan, July, Walker Mixes. I do know one fellow who runs them terrificly with some beagle/Walker mixes, but to do it right you need a treeing hound with a bit of colder nose than the running Walkers. A website called Shadetree big game and running hounds website can steer you towards someone out west where your moving too that would have some started dogs/puppies for sure.
I know folks use feral cats squirted with bobcat scent or not to start thier hounds (not advocating that either way) could probably do the same with a coon squirted with bobcat scent, or start them with coon and move to bobcat from there as stated in the posts before mine. We got lucky with a hot cat track and they ran that for hours and were hooked. They will take a track and cold trial it now like they do a fox or coyote. If I had the room or a more understanding wife (she's pretty understanding already I do want to point out) I'd buy a started cat dog and be done with it. Good luck, fill us in on your choice, progress in training, etc. Juniorpc.