Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lab Mix

Old 03-24-2004, 06:57 PM

Default Lab Mix

Can I expect to be able to train a Lab Mix (I think with a Spaniel or Pointer) to hunt Pheasants? I recently got a Lab mix from a foster home when he was 2 months old. He is now almost 5 months old. I would love to work with him in the field to specifically hunt pheasants. I understand he is not a pure breed, but wanted to see how others felt about my chances of training this dog. I assume I will need to spend much more time in the training dept, and result will not come as quickly as would with a purebreed. I currently am working with him in puppy preschool for the basic obedience training. He seems to be a strong willed dog and doesn't shy away from loud noises. Any guidance or words of advice are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lab Mix

Hogan....I have a 2 year old lab/mix...Started working with him last summer, and I think he's turning into a pretty good dog. I don't need the #1 dog in the world....just a good hunting partner, and side kick..
Old 03-24-2004, 08:02 PM

Hogan - My 9 mo old BLMM (Black Lab Male Mutt) is doing well in his training. He's solid on OB, has more drive than I know what to do with, and is basicly a retrieving machine. He is almost done with FF. I plan on hunting him in uplands as well as for ducks. I get some funny looks at training days, but hey, who cares if he gets me the birds. Good training is key. Try and hook up with a club in your area and find a good book ( I like "10 Minute Retriever" but someone may have a book geared more toward upland hunting), and stick to it's program. Gus's mom was pure lab, and dad was half lab, half pit bull, and half great dane. I figure with him in the feild, if I wing a bird, it will see this 26 inch high 80 lb monster coming at the and die from fright!
Old 03-24-2004, 09:17 PM

BillDeLuc -

How long did it take to get your dog trained on basic obedience? My dog is getting there, but still has a lot of work. My biggest fear is getting to the field and having the dog take off. They say if the dog is well trained, that I shouldn't worry. At the moment I am using a 26ft retractible leash, which allows enough running room for now. He is remarkable with retreiving, but easily distracted.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:40 AM

I would say @ 5 mo that is ok, he is still a puppy after all. Keep working with him. After he reaches 6 mo or so you can start to formalize OB, and start to inforce a higher standard. I would suggest getting yourself a longer check cord to work him on, and keep him on it for now so you can inforce all commands. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy 110' of poly rope for about 10 bucks and put a clip on one end, instant check cord! Make sure he is well socialized, and train around distractions often. Trips to pet store, crowed parks, busy streets, are all good for that. Good Luck! Keep us posted.