Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New Brittany coming soon!

Old 03-07-2004, 07:09 AM

Default New Brittany coming soon!

Hi all,

This is my first post (of what I am sure will be many). My family and I (wife Jodie and 4.5 year old Emily) will be bringing home our first Brittany on March 27th. At that point, she will be 8 weeks old. She is coming from a reputable breeder with good references. She comes from a strong hunting background, which has me really excited as well!

So, here are my questions: First and foremost, she will be a family pet, however I would like to be able to use her for bird hunting as well, the few times a year I get to go out. I live in a great area that is very near a State Park for exercise (hunting isn't allowed in this particular park). I understand that basic obedience training starts right away, and actually continues throughout the dog's life. I have been able to find alot of info on general obedience, but not much on when to start "field training" or preparing the dog to go hunting. Can anyone make any recommendations to good sources to read or even offer specific advice on how to proceed?

I'll post some pics as soon as I can!

Thanks,

John
Old 03-07-2004, 09:11 AM

Default RE: New Brittany coming soon!

John.....congratulations on your coming pup! You certainly are in for a fun ride with a hunting dog companion. You seem to understand what is needed as far as obedience...so just be consistant and you'll be fine. "Never give any command you can't enforce"! i.e. with check cord or (later) ecollar.

For field training, just get pup out in the wilds as early and often as possible. Let the pup run and frolic...check out new scents and sights. This will build pups confidence and pup will learn about fences, ditches, and such. This is also a very good time for you and your pup to bond. It's okay to allow pup to chase birds in the field for a while. This helps build prey drive in the young dog. Meadow Larks, field Thrushes, whatever birds you encounter, work well for this training. He/she will soon be anticipating your trips to the field. One hint...from day one in the fields...when you want to change directions..blow your whistle and extend your arm in the direction you want to go. Then start walking that direction and pup will move to the front by instinct. Allways make the same sound with the whistle, i.e. 2 short blasts for direction change ect. This will be all the training your pup will need for quartering in the future. Simply always do it when you're in the field.

Once pup is tuned in to birds and will chase...you will want to introduce gun fire. Take a blank pistol afield with you and when pup is giving chase..fire 1 shot. If pup gives no response...just keep this up for several weeks, then pup will be ready to move on to a shotgun.

There are many good books out there. One I like alot is " The Ultimate Guide to Bird Dog Training" by Jerome B. Robinson. Read a few books...watch some vidieos, and have fun!

Good luck,

Rick
Old 03-07-2004, 04:31 PM

Thanks Rick.

That's pretty much what I expected. One question though - is there any "standard" as far as whistle commands go (ie. to change direction it is 1 blast, to come its 2 blasts, etc) - things like that?

Thanks again for your help!

John
Old 03-08-2004, 07:07 AM

John...for whistle commands, all that matters is you give the same whistle for each command, whether it be 1, 2, or three blasts. Trainers very to their own liking with these...so what ever feels right to you.

Example...I use two short blasts for quartering...1 long blast for come.

Rick