Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Yellow, Black, Chocolate

Old 02-26-2004, 08:34 PM

Default Yellow, Black, Chocolate

Is There any difference between the 3 labs. personality, in the field or anywhere. i am hoping to get a black lab puppy soon and was wondering if this would be the best choice if it even matters.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Yellow, Black, Chocolate

Color doesn't matter. The lines they come from are what is important. Color only matters according to what is appealing to you. I prefer yellow, but I had a black one time, and I think that chocolate colored labs are pretty dogs. One thing you might want to consider is the color of your carpets and furniture. When they shed you will see yellow hair more on dark furniture and black or chocolate more on light carpets and furniture. This consideration can help to pacify your female counterpart and can help avoid some negative discussions in the future. Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:44 PM

My vetranarian told me many years ago that any color other than black is a recessive gene. He said that the others are more prone to skin diseases. I have seen this some, however if the breeder is breeding for the correct traits and not color it does not matter. Choose the right breeder, then choose the color that you admire. A Labrador Retiever is an excellent choice of dogs when you desire manners and a faithful companion. Good luck in your search.

OhioDuckHunter
Old 02-28-2004, 07:06 PM

There is a higher percentage of Black Labs that are Field Champions and Master Hunters than any of the other colors.....I prefer Yellow~
Old 02-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

I have had Yellow & Chocolate..My yellow was calm compared to the chocolate..A lot is genes no dought BUT even my Vet told me the chocolates are more hyper..Both are gone now..I loved them both . I will say this we now have a English Setter and would never change...supper happy
Old 02-29-2004, 07:15 PM

There is a higher percentage of Black Labs that are Field Champions and Master Hunters than any of the other colors.....I prefer Yellow~
Isn't that likely because there are more black labs anyway?
Old 03-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

I have a black lab and will be adding a yellow pup to the house hold in a couple months. I have been researching different kennels for a year now. It has been stated above that black labs have the most titles in Field and Hunt test because there are more black labs. This is very true, but what it means to a guy trying to get a good pup is that it is much easier to find a breeder of a great line that kicks out black pups than yellow or chocolate. Yellow wasn't the hardest to find but chocolate has to be very difficult.
The deposit I have down is for the first pick of a yellow male of an unborn liter. This is from a black and yellow liter. I'm crossing my fingers that a YM comes out. I would take a another black in a heartbeat but my little boy wants a yellow. I can only control the line I buy from.

I agree what what has been stated above: Lines are the key and color is secondary. Get a really good vaccum cleaner and get what you want.

-Mathewsconquest2
Old 03-16-2004, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

the color in a lab is genetic, and seperate from the genes determining personality... dogs are like people, they all have different personalities and any color can be just as good as others... i love all labs and have friends that successfully hunt with all of them... i personally have a GSP and love her, but that's a different ball game! good luck!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:56 PM

I say go for one of each. I am 2/3 of the way there!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:44 AM
Spike

I agree with Bill. Better to be safe and just have one of each color... Or multiple ones if you're like me. I currently have all three colors lined up next to eachother in the kennel and wouldn't trade any of them for the world.
Good hunting!

Quick Reply: Yellow, Black, Chocolate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.