Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

People really suck!

Old 02-18-2004, 06:34 AM

Default RE: People really suck!

how do you get a dog, that has been beaten so severly, to turn around?
i am always being offered dogs, i have a kennel, i have never been given one that is this severely treated, but, i wouldn't mind some tips, for dogs that i have been given, that have been mistreated.
thanks, and best of luck with him.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:24 AM

I appreciate all of your sentiments and good wishes. We thank you all. As for the owner, well, I would love to find him in an alley and teach him about what it means to be hurt... but my faith and our laws say leave him for others to judge.

We take in about 25 rescue dogs per year, but this is one of the most egregious cases I've encountered.

Sunset-
We do a lot of loving, and one-on-one training. A basic tenet is to return them to a comfortable level of training (such as basic obedience) to occupy their minds, while we try to restore their trust in humans. We also allow them to interact with our dogs and watch what proper human/canine interactions are like (full of love and respect!). In a couple of cases, we were even able to include them in our hunting stable until they went to loving permanent homes.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:51 AM

I had a similar situation with an abused friend. This poor fellow had his back legs tied togher so long they both rotted is sack and caused sores down the insides of his legs. He bit everything that even remotely resembled a hand. (he was a lab, about 8 months when I got him). It took me two years of 'a little bit at a time' of just talking, biting(I let him bit my protected hand over and over until)while I talked to him and told him it was okay to just let her all out. Eventually he got so tired of biting me that he would just give up. I kept treats on hand and made sure he was given one everytime he did something positive. I also taught him the basic commands of sit, stay, come, and fetch. This seemed over time to get his mind off of his 'problem'. It took two years to get him there and he never responded to anybody but me. Never bit anybody but I always felt he could. He lived to be 14 years old. So don't start if you don't have the patience to see it through but it can be done. Good Luck!!
Old 02-18-2004, 05:08 PM

[:@]I would love to beat the owner too, blackline...BUT

I have had several dogs that were abused...It took WEEKS for them to learn that I was just gonna love and feed them. FEED is the secret in the end. They learn to trust you everytime you feed thm. It will take TIME, but they will soon learn that you are NOT going to hurt them. Like in the movie "Dances With Wolves" let him come to you for a treat!

Best of luck to you and God Bless you for your kindness for Man's Best Friend!!
Old 02-21-2004, 07:55 PM

Bandit is warming to my wife and I, slowly by surely. It's looking like a long raod, but when the situation is favorable, he can be the sweetest dog- just like a britt is supposed to be.

The vet will be fixing/ neutering his damaged testicles on tuesday, and we are hoping that his disposition will improve with their removal. We aren't certain, but do believe they are still causing him pain.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

That is indeed good news, keep up the good work! We salute you for your good work.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Spike

blackliner, thanks for taking care of him.

Not only should the previous owner be given the same treatment, but the breeder also. Some sell to everybody and don't follow up whats happening with the pups. And why is he not taking care of this dog? I would like to know who it is and make sure the information gets out to prospective buyers. Maybe that would stop him from selling dogs like used cars. JMO
Old 02-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

blackliner, cudos to you my friend. It's nice to see people stepping up and helping these poor dogs. Please keep us informed on your progress with him.

maybe, before you get him totally turned around, you should take him to the previous owner and let the dog munch on his marbles for a few minutes! [:@] Tell him that the dog wanted revenge. not you! Grrr....

-BJ
Old 02-28-2004, 06:56 PM

I say we tie this guy up and kick his testicles from behind until they pop and see how he likes it. I can't imagine someone doing that to their dog!!!! My Labs are part of my family and they are treated as such!!!! Spoiled Rotten retrieving machines!!!
Old 02-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

Little gets me going like something like this. I can't watch Animal Planet's "Animal Cops", gets me worked up like someone just slapped my mom. Unbelievable what some people do to a pet. How is pooch coming along?

Quick Reply: People really suck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.