Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lyme Disease Vaccination

Old 02-13-2004, 07:22 PM

Default Lyme Disease Vaccination

Hello Everyone,
I've got another question for you. I took my 14 week old GSP in for his 3rd round of shots and the vet strongly recommended getting him vaccinated for Lyme disease. Well we did and she said he would be tired for a day or two. It's been 12 hours now and he's just about dead to the world. he's been crying all day, has a fever, his shoulder is swollen, and he cannot walk without clearly being in pain. I called the vet back and he told me to give him 25 mg of benadryl.

Question #1 How long will this last before he's normal again?

Question #2 How many of you actually vaccinate for Lyme disease? Do the Cons outweigh the pros of the vaccine.

Thank you in advance for your insight and help

Jonny P
Old 02-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Lyme Disease Vaccination

I vac for lyme but I never had a problem after vacination except maybe he was tired for about a day. I put my trust in my vet, so if he reccomends vaccinating for anything I am on board with that. One thing I am sure of is that prevention of any disease is usually easier and less costly than the treatment after a disease infects your dog.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Jonnyp390-I meant to tell you on my other reply, let us all know how you make out. Hopefully by the time you read this your pal will be back to normal but if there is anything we should be looking out for please let us know.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:46 PM

HikeNHunter,
Thanks for the advice. Rigby is doing much better today but last night was pretty rough. It took him a good 26-28 hours before he could get up and walk around much. He still has a pretty good lump on his shoulder where he got the shot, but he was stealing underwear and chewing on shoes this afternoon so we knew he was getting back to his normal, chipper self. Thanks for the words of advice yesterday.

Good Hunting, Jonny p
Old 02-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Fork Horn

Glad to hear it.