Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

[Deleted]

Old 02-03-2004, 07:21 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-03-2004, 12:50 PM

Default RE: Getting a new black lab pup

There are some great books at www.coonriverkennals.com

dont wait to get them. you defintaely need a program in place PRIOR to getting your pup.

just remember to have patience. a lot of dogs dont peak until theyre in their middle years. 4,5 or 6 even. Take your time and dont expect miracles. your dog will only be as good as you train her to be.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:28 PM

Richard Wolters Waterdog is a must have. good luck with your new pup.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

TV box, do mean a cardboard box? If so I would think getting about a large dog crate. Three books that come highly recommended are Smartwork (Rush Creek Press), 10 Minute Retriever, and Tri-tronics. PM me if you want feedback on the Wolters books, I have two that I'll sell real cheap.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:57 PM

10 min. retriever is a good book for new trainers. It is easy to read and takes it step by step. Good luck with the new pup!
Old 02-08-2004, 12:12 PM

read books and expect the worse. get the basics down first, sit, stay, come, and heel before u train her to retreive also dont train a dog to young.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Spike

WaterDog has excellent techniques. Above all else, build a strong bond with your new pup from day one. The more she loves and trusts you, the more responsive she'll be to training. Also remember that puppies, especially Lab puppies, are just that...puppies. If she's having a day she is extremely stubborn, don't be hash with her and don't force her to continue. I started training my first lab this year, and he retrieved his first dove at 7 and 1/2 months. He didn't want a treat..just praise and the satisfaction of pleasing me was all he needed. He will be starting field trials this spring and I can't wait!
Old 02-13-2004, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

get rid of the t.v. box and buy a dog crate. The box might get chewed up. The pup might even eat part of it, and dogs arenot supposed to eat cardboard.Crates are easy to clean and they provide a safe place for your pup to go when he can't be out and about. buy yourself some training books and develope a training plan for your new pal. Remember that this new dog needs to be part of your family and you need to bond with him in order to work together. Keep training sessions short but frequent, and make them fun. Play alot in between training sessions and remember he is just a pup so don't expect too much too soon. Good luck with your new pal and here is wishing you many many years of unequalled fun and companianship. What is his name gonna be?
Old 02-13-2004, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

I just reread your post and in my reply to you I referred to your new dog as a male but you stated that you were getting a female. Sorry for the oversite.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]