Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

dog training 2 ?

Old 12-25-2003, 11:08 AM

Default dog training 2 ?

I have a choc. lab perbred that's ayear & old .is she getting to old to train.She's had some basic at home training.Also can she be sent to a trainer and be trained and used for waterfowl and upland game.New at the dog hunting sport
Old 12-25-2003, 05:16 PM

Default RE: dog training 2 ?

Your dog is not too old. A pro might be skeptical about it, just because it makes their job more difficult. You'll have more fun training it yourself!
Old 12-26-2003, 07:22 PM

Yogi,

Don't worry about the age, just spend time working with your best friend. If the animal listens well and wants to please, this makes it feasible for further training. I have a three year old lab who just started this year hunting, some dogs need to mature alittle prior to field testing. Mine is excellent at hand signals and working close, good luck and feed em well!!!

Wildirishman
ORIGINAL: yogi

I have a choc. lab perbred that's ayear & old .is she getting to old to train.She's had some basic at home training.Also can she be sent to a trainer and be trained and used for waterfowl and upland game.New at the dog hunting sport
Old 12-27-2003, 05:19 PM

What do you want to train your dog for? What do you mean by purebread? Pure hunt test lines or 2 labs bread together? What are their respective titles?

It is never to late to train your dog. I am guessing that you want a good hunting companion.

Buy yourself 10 minute retriever by John and Amy Dahl and or Tri-Tronics Retriever Training by Jim and Phyllis Dobbs. They will get you on the right track...pick a formal training program and stick with it......DO NOT TAKE SHORT CUTS!

Being that you are getting started a little later than most, you will have to spend more time with your dog on some drills than if it were a pup.

Good Luck and Good Training!!