Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

blasto fungus,in my coonhound might not live.

Old 11-25-2003, 04:43 PM

Default blasto fungus,in my coonhound might not live.

i just made my dog nite champion in ukc,well the day after she would not eat much ,well i said just might be a tummy ache,the next day coughing, nose dry, not eating much,took her to the vet today he said her lungs have fluid on them,lymph nodes are swolen ,he said she has blasto ,it is some type of fungus that comes out of the ground,he said it is just like cancer.i am sick wright now,he said she might live, she might not,.this is sicking,this is the worst thing that can happen to me.we got to wait for the results.he said medication will be 1200bucks,but this dog is worth 2,000,and is my life please pray for my dog to live ,thanks.

go deep hunt hard.

Old 11-25-2003, 10:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: blasto fungus,in my coonhound might not live.

bobcat - My prayers are with you and your Champion.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:01 AM

Your right bobcat, blastomycosis, is not a nice disease to have. Your going to have to make some tough decisions over the coarse of the next few weeks. I wish you the best of luck.

Here are some things to think about however in case your vet has meantioned them.

1. One in Four dogs don' t make it despite treatment, although those odds may increase with early diagnosis and decrease with late diagnosis.

2. The antifungal drugs are EXPENSIVE. $1200 may actually be low-balling it. In my experience $2000-$3000 is more accurate. The best performing drug is usually Itraconazole (unfortunately it is the most expensive). Some vets go for the cheaper Ketoconazole or Amphotericin B, but the chances of success are not as good. If you are going to treat, go with the Itraconazole.

3. It reoccurs in 1 out of 5 dogs despite length of treatment.

4. Its zoonotic. In other words, it can be tranmitted to you or your family, although it usually takes a bite for this to happen. However if you do have any cuts or open places on your skin, I would wear gloves. I would also recommend keeping your family away from him until the completion of treatment. Also don' t forget to keep your other animals away.

5. You or a member of your family may have acquired it the same time the dog did. This has been documented in coon and duck hunters. If anyone in your family has any skin or respiratory lesions, see your doctor immediately.

Hope this helps you. Again good luck, you will definitely need it.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:05 AM

Bobcat....we are all pulling for you and your dog. All here have lost dogs at one time or another and our hearts go out to you.

Good luck,

Rick
Old 12-01-2003, 04:19 PM

we got the results in for my dog to see if she has blasto it came back negative.it is the best news i have heard yet,but she is not out of the woods yet.she is still sick,but she is on medication,we will have to go to the vet tommorow to see what else she might have.

go deep hunt hard.