Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Australian Shepherd pup--might be a hunter

Old 06-12-2020, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Australian Shepherd pup--might be a hunter

My household recently got an australian shepherd puppy and I think he might be able to do some hunting. He's a herding breed, but he definitely has intelligence and he shows a decent nose. On one of his first walks, he got downwind of a big feather and caught the scent of it. He definitely knew something was up. He was crouched down and barking at it.

I'm thinking there's a fair chance to at least teach him to root out a rabbit or maybe even kick a bird up out of the weeds.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
My household recently got an australian shepherd puppy and I think he might be able to do some hunting. He's a herding breed, but he definitely has intelligence and he shows a decent nose. On one of his first walks, he got downwind of a big feather and caught the scent of it. He definitely knew something was up. He was crouched down and barking at it.

I'm thinking there's a fair chance to at least teach him to root out a rabbit or maybe even kick a bird up out of the weeds.

That dog is too fast to hunt rabbits, you would not be able to get a shot because the dog would be too close to the rabbit if it was chasing. A herding dog would chase by sight, a hound chases by scent. There is a reason for certain breeds for certain tasks. There are hundreds of years of selective breeding in hunting dog and the same goes for herding dogs. Shepard dogs have the instinct bred into them to herd, keep animals together and run strays back to the herd. If you want a hunting dog, buy a hunting breed from a good breeder. You will be much happier with the results than to try to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
That dog is too fast to hunt rabbits, you would not be able to get a shot because the dog would be too close to the rabbit if it was chasing.

If you want a hunting dog, buy a hunting breed from a good breeder. You will be much happier with the results than to try to fit a square peg into a round hole.
That may be true. There are people who say they've used them to hunt and been successful (especially rabbits). We'll see...

If he doesn't work out as a hunting dog, that's fine, because he serves a different role. My "household" is actually a religious community and the other members won the vote on choice of the breed. I'm the only one who hunts at all.

Teaching him to hunt would have one plus in that it would help keep him active and stimulated. I understand that's important with the breed, as they are work-oriented.

Everything to gain and nothing to lose with this dog.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 06-12-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted Rabbits with a Shepard. He'd turn them towards me, I'd stand perfectly still and make like a tree until they got close, then I'd move. They'd hesitate and the dog would grab them. A rare evening I didn't come home with 2-3 Rabbits with a couple of hours of work.
Might not make a bad flushing dog. A lot of Rabbits and birds are stay at home and hide until you pass by, I've done well picking up the hiders. I send my Terriers into a hedgerow or thick brush, they are hot hunters and if it is in there they'll find it and flush it.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
I hunted Rabbits with a Shepard. He'd turn them towards me, I'd stand perfectly still and make like a tree until they got close, then I'd move. They'd hesitate and the dog would grab them. A rare evening I didn't come home with 2-3 Rabbits with a couple of hours of work.
Might not make a bad flushing dog. A lot of Rabbits and birds are stay at home and hide until you pass by, I've done well picking up the hiders. I send my Terriers into a hedgerow or thick brush, they are hot hunters and if it is in there they'll find it and flush it.
I was thinking along the lines of what you describe-- a dog that can root around and maybe flush a few.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:03 AM
Spike

Default Hunt

I love australian shepherd, I think you can use it to hunt.