Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Tick protection

Old 09-28-2003, 04:10 PM

Default Tick protection

Is there any products out there that provide tick protection for my Beagle while in the field? Lyme disease has been increasing at a strong rate in my parts. An " Old Timer" told me to spray a stripe from top of head, down the middle of his back, to the tip of his tail with WD-40. Anyone ever heard of this? I don' t want to try something like that on my dog without first finding out any adverse effects.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:25 AM

Default RE: Tick protection

Frontline works really well. Its available from your vet.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:04 AM

" Old Timers" used to use WD-40 for everything............including on their hands for arthritis. WD-40 soaked right down into the joints and gave the needed lubrication and relief that over-the-counter medications just didn' t have.

They would still probably be using it if they did not find out about all the toxins they were diliberatly soaking in through their skin right into their bloodstreams.

Go with one of the namebrand products that your administer onto the dogs neck and back. It has worked for my dogs 100%!

Leave WD-40 for the rusty Nuts!! ha ha
Old 09-30-2003, 12:28 PM

caveman, that' s kinda what I was thinking. I did not want to spray my dog with WD-40. He doesn' t have a squeaks yet that I know of.

EJDoane, Is that a spray product or is it a preventative pill that you give once a month?

Thanks guys.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:56 AM

Frontline is a little tube of liquid that you squirt between the dogs shoulder blades. I am pretty sure that there is a website or contact your local vet and they can explain the product to you... One application lasts about 30 days or so. It works really well.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using Advantix on my Springer for the last 5 months. He was bitten by a contagious tick and tested positive to Lyme Disease. This is something he could have had before we got him. He was 11 months old in May when he finally came to live with us. He has no symptome at this time but must take pills for the next month. The Vet said that only 4-6% of infected dogs will actually show signs of the disease after taking the pills, providing the dog has been innoculated.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:36 PM

Do ticks die off after a hard freeze or two? I wonder.......
Old 10-31-2003, 07:57 PM

I would go with frontline. Last spring I had a run in with ticks on my dog and one of these guys on this site suggested frontline. I have been using it since and it' s worked like a champ. It' s also waterproof for the 30 day application.