Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Yellow Lab

Old 04-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Spike

Default Yellow Lab

Always wanted a pure lab, and I duck hunt so I wanted one to retrieve ducks for me. I don't plan on having it run field trials or anything, just a buddy that hunts with me. I've been doing a lot of research on breeders, and most labs go for $1,000. I know the saying that you get what you pay for, but I feel like i'm looking at corvettes when all i want is a daily driver. Anybody have an opinion on what to pay for, or where to look for a pure lab to train to duck hunt? I'm from Kansas City, MO, so looking for a breeder that is somewhat close, I'm willing to drive at least 3 hours if need be to pick up a puppy.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Spike

My main concern is the health of the dog. You don't want your buddy down and out from bad hips or something.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Getting a pup's parents checked and certified for possible genetic problems isn't cheap for the breeder, thus the additional expense for a pup that's as genetically as clean as can be currently determined.

The pup's parents need to be OFA for Hips and Elbows, have a current CERF exam as well as being tested clear for CNM, EIC, and PRA.

Last edited by Doc E; 04-27-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Spike

Another thing to consider. I've paid a lot for my current Labs, but the initial cost spread out over what I hope is a long life isn't bad. Food costs just as much, it's just that you're buying it over time instead of up front.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tcshooter
Another thing to consider. I've paid a lot for my current Labs, but the initial cost spread out over what I hope is a long life isn't bad. Food costs just as much, it's just that you're buying it over time instead of up front.
Very true. At the end of 12 years, a $1000 dog costs less than 2 cents a day more than a $350 dog.
Then you have to consider Vet costs if the dog comes down with a genetic disease because it's parents weren't tested.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I owned one yellow Labrador in my life. Normally I had Black Labradors. And no offense intended, but I refused to own a Chocolate Labrador. I hunted over three different Chocolates that friends of mine owned. Great hunters every one of them, but not the most friendly dogs I ever been around. In fact duck hunting, for no reason my friends Chocolate made an aggressive move at me in the blind.

But Megan was my yellow lab. And I paid $20.00 for her. Yep that's right. It was back in the 80's and I had went to the local dog shelter. The wife wanted a puppy. So it was for the house. I wanted a hunting dog. But, in the shelter was a female black labrador with a mess of puppies. Seems some young man in town owned the female, and had it bred. He then took off and left the dog at his fathers. His dad wanted nothing to do with raising the mother or the pups, so he donated them to the dog pound.

I picked Megan because as I was checking over the pups, she came right to us, and sat on the wife's shoe. That was all it took. Megan was a great duck, pheasant, and goose dog. She would hunt hard all day. And she minded commands RIGHT NOW. Also as a house dog, there was none better. Not a mean bone in that dog's body. To make her happy, rub her head and let her sleep next to your feet. It was all she wanted.

I wish I could have cloned that dog. She was 12 and developed epilepsy. Then she got cancer tumors in her. So we had her put down. But while she didn't cost me much. There was no way you could have bought that dog off me. She was just a great dog.

I will say the best water dog I had was a black Labrador. Big as a bull and he would never give up on a duck or a goose. He was a little hard headed when he was young. But once we decided I was the boss, he obeyed commands perfect. Also, if he saw any duck or goose go down, it was coming back to the boat. But he stunk as a upland game dog. He'd retrieve the birds mind you. But he never searched for them. He'd walk along with you.. when the bird flushed you'd knock it down. Then he'd go get it.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

A bad apple can end up in any bushel.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Spike

Look here for Labrador Retriever breeders: http://www.gundogbreeders.com/