Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

lab training info

Old 01-29-2002, 08:13 PM

Default lab training info

i am planning on getting a yellow lab to use for waterfowl hunting, i desperetely need books and magazines and videos to help me get ready for training and what to look for in the dogs.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:22 PM

Default RE: lab training info

There are lots of books on the subject, some of the experts in here will probably know the best ones. There is also a magazine called Gun Dog (I think) which has articles and lots of adverts for relevant info and breeders. I too am thinking about getting a Lab (probably a black one) at some point next year, so would be interested in how you get on.
Old 02-02-2002, 02:44 PM

I think you'll find very easy and useful info from Richard Wolters books, Game Dog, Water Dog. It is a great start, there are many books out there. I liked how straightforward it was. I would also advise you to look on the net at AKC and United Kennel Club retriever training groups. I prefer the UKC because it trains more toward the average hunting expectations placed on a retriever. To be around such a wealth of dog training regarless of which group you contact will only help you train your dog. Get the books first, don't get too caught up on the timing that Wolters talks about. Take it at your own pace. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2002, 04:06 PM

I agree with the other responder that the book "Water Dog" is an excellent book on the training of a waterfowl retriever. This book is widely looked upon as the "bible" for water retrieving dogs. I have a friend who used this book solely as the basis for the training of his choc. lab and he had excellent results. I have a 3 month old choc. lab pup and I am using this book as the basis for his training.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-09-2002, 06:30 PM
Spike

Having trained 4 labs, and followed information from a good number of books, I definitely feel that the manner in which I finished training my current 'old' dog and her daughter is far superior for the average amateur to follow and achieve a really good dog. Some of the earlier books I used for my first two labs and initially followed with my current'old' dog were incomplete even though they seemed good when I used them ;some of them even contain incorrect or inconsistant information for training. I am definitely of the opinion that if you go to totalretriever.com and obtain vol I 'Training with Mike Lardy' that you will be able to turn out a very good dog. I have run both of my last two dogs in field trials successfully and have taken the mother through the AKC hunt tests, passing six of six at the master level(daughter 3 of 4) and also earlier took her through the NAHRA hunt tests , passing roughly 28 of 30 all of the way through the program. Even though I compete with them, my main interest is hunting both of them extensively both for ducks in AK where I reside and considerable pheasant and grouse hunting in the midwest each fall. Mike's method does follow a collar program, but even if I chose to train without a collar I would follow his system. His program is the only detailed one which demonstrates in detail the proper and fair way to train with a collar IMHO. He does have several training videos out which are considerably more expensive, but if you were to follow th manual you would have the guts of his program.

I have trained extensively with a group who compete in both field trials and hunt tests and also hunt with their dogs and all of them really believe in the methods in that volume. Sorry to get so long winded but I really believe in this system...
Old 02-10-2002, 10:39 AM

I am considering purchasing his training set, but I was wondering how much of it does consist of collar work. At this time I don't want to train with a collar now but I might consider it if I decide to compete with my dog in upper level tests. $140 bucks is a lot to spend for me if most of it consists of cc, and training with the e-collar. Is there enough training done w/o the collar that it would be worth it for me to get it??
Old 02-10-2002, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with cubdriver - Lardy is GREAT! Personally, I prefer his "Bound Articles" as opposed to his tapes. The tapes are really top notch, but very pricey -- and I think the written word conveys a lot more information than a tape.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:34 AM

I just got my first lab Saturday, he is 12 weeks old. What approach should I take to train him a great retriever for Doves? What book demonstrates Retrieving and Pointing?
Should a collar be used, at what age should a collar be used? Please give advice.