Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

German Hunting Terrier

Old 08-05-2003, 05:33 AM
Spike

Default German Hunting Terrier

Im from sweden and has a German Hunting terrier. Is it a common breed in the us? Do you use dogs when you do big game hunting or predator hunting?
Old 08-05-2003, 08:49 AM

Default RE: German Hunting Terrier

Some states do allow dogs to be used on deer and many allow dogs on predators but it varies from state to state. Is the German terrier you refer to what we call the German shorthair?
Old 08-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Spike

Dont really know. The german terrier is black and tan and small. its are used in fox dens.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:59 PM

Sounds like what we call a Jagd Terrier. The types of hunting we do in the US would not call for a dog like this. The types of hunting where dogs are used is pig and deer hunting. Hounds are sometimes used to drive deer and there are breeds of dogs used to bay hogs and bull dogs, dogos and Pitt Bulls are used to catch the pig while the other dogs bay. Some dogs are used to tree Lions and bears also.

I live in Hawaii and we hunt pigs with pitt bull crosses with hound or pointer to give them a better nose. The bull is to give them the bite to stop a pig. The best size dog is 50 to 70 pounds for this type of hunting.

So we don' t really use the Jagd Terrier in the US. Too small. But I always wondered if they would work for pig hunting. They would be too small to catch any sizable pig alone but just as Jack russels and fox terriers work to flush and chase and bay, I would bet the Jagd terrier would work in the same way and might be able to catch and kill small pigs up to 50 pounds. Or you could take one dog and a gun if the bush is open enough and use them to find by winding and flush pigs into the open so you could get a shot off.

Otherwise, I don' t know if anyone uses them in the U.S. Supposed to be a very scrappy dog. They can kill Badgers.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:55 AM
Spike

In sweden and german the german terrier is the elite on pigs. Its very small but its sharp as a big dog and energic. In sweden the dogs are not supposed too bite the pig they are supposed too drive them into shooters that shoot them. It happens often that the pig stand halt too defend it self and that`s when the hunting terrier have its advantage. Its soo small and have soo good reflexes that its very hard too hit.