Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Pointing Labs???

Old 03-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
do you have to train the lab to stop and point even tho they have it in them?

No.
The pointing training of a PL is the same as any other pointing breed. The "point' of a PL is as natural as any other pointing breed.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default pl

doc, why is it that Pointing labs breeders are all out west.most of breeders in north[pa] are non pointing labs and they dont seem interested in pointing lab.

1 breeder in coudersport,pa,bought 2 pups from a top pointing lab with ribbons etc.both sire/dam pointed.
he paid a lot of money for pups to breed.

he said they would not point.he was very mad over it when i called him.
i tried to get him to raise them even tho he said he lost money on it and was just mad .
he said get ENGLISH SETTER FOR YOUR GROUSE AND LAB FOR DUCKS.that is what he said he does.
i said, MOST OF US CANT AFFORD 2 DOGS ANYMORE AND WOULD LIKE DOG [LAB] THAT COULD DO BOTH.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sproulman
i said, MOST OF US CANT AFFORD 2 DOGS ANYMORE AND WOULD LIKE DOG [LAB] THAT COULD DO BOTH.
So get a versatile dog like a german shorthair or wirehair and you'll only need the one dog.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Rajah
So get a versatile dog like a german shorthair or wirehair and you'll only need the one dog.
GSP are nice.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

no expert on pointing lab but from what i am reading ,lab ground scents.i assume a pointing lab does too.
pointing breeds air scent .but gsp uses his nose on ground too.

top trainer which i e-mailed last week told me that GSP he does not like for that reason.same with lab.
he rec a setter as they hold their head up and catch air scent not ground.
i like lab but i may get setter next time as most of my hunting is for grouse/pheasants.

but i like lab the best all around dog for woods/home.
if i could handle 2 dogs it would be setter/lab