Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Training rabbit dogs

Old 06-26-2010, 04:20 AM
Spike

Default Training rabbit dogs

Does anyone have any good ideas on how I can train a couple of beagle pups to hunt rabbits?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Spike

Just find you an older dog and keep taking your pups out with it. Make sure the older dog is a true honest hound. Not to fast and straight on the line.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:05 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Take them out to open areas where they can run a rabbit by sight, that gets them really excited. I got my cousins silver beagle to see one this morning and she liked it. Dogs get better in the field and not in the pen. It's hard to make yourself run dogs in the summer but it's a great way to improve there nose, line control, and keep them in top notch shape for fall. I have ran my dogs the last 3 days and we have had some great races.