Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

ear infections

Old 06-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ear infections

Anybody know how to get rid of them?I know there' s a home remedy but forget what it is.I think one ingredient was vinegar.Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:57 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ear infections

It depends on what is causing them. Yeast infections, which are the most common, can be treated with a vineager solution. Bacterial or fungal infections will not respond to either. Has the dog had it before? If so what was the cause?
Old 06-23-2003, 09:20 AM

some will get over it with a wash of vinegar,then wash out with porxide,twice a day.
some are coused by mites,this you will need to get a wash and solution from the vets or through mail order.
the feed and grain store in my town carries all this stuff.
the main thing is to keep at it every day(2)time a day untill it is cured.usually takes about a week.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

My lab was really bad for ear infections. A lot of it can be caused by water in the ear. Especially dirty water. You can get an ear drying/cleansing solution from most pet stores or the vet. I use it at the end of the day when I know he is done swimming. Especially if he has been in the marsh or in a river. In cleaner water his ears stay pink and clean no problem.
With him we also switched his food because. He was getting them even when I knew he hadn' t been swimming like late fall, early winter. The vet said it could be allergy related so we switched and I think it has made a difference.

If the infection is really bad you can get some antibiotic solutions from the vet. We have tried Otomax and Surolan and they both helped get rid of it in about a week.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

A Queen Anne' s collar will help to keep the dog from constantly scratching the ear while it heals. You can buy them from your vet.

Dan O.