Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

dog training with dummy

Old 06-14-2003, 10:03 PM

Default dog training with dummy

I have a year old german shoethair/lab pointer that i am training to hunt for ducks, geese, and pheasants, he fetches now with a dummy and i was wondering what i should use to keep him from biting hard on it so when he retreives a bird he cdon' t rip it a part or puncture it. thanks
Old 06-15-2003, 01:21 AM

Default RE: dog training with dummy

duckhunter
First has the dog been forced fetched, FF if not that may be an option or requirement. I usually do not FF but if it came down to it I would before I would lose my game to the dog. I hope by dummy you mean bumper. I usually add a few feathers or wings taped to the bumper (plastic not canvas) than once he is delivering the bumper well with the wings I go to the next step. Which is a frozen bird if your going duck hunting that may be the ticket. A good organization that may be near you would be a local HRC club. You may want to go visit on one of there training days. Also a NAVHDA chapter may be close one or both can help with retrieving but NAVHDA will be more help in overall training with wild game. Hope the frozen bird helps and check out www.navhda.org and www.hrc-ukc.com for local chapters or clubs in your area.