Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Rabbit Dog

Old 04-10-2009, 12:39 AM

Default Rabbit Dog

Does anybody hunt rabbits with dogs? Im guessing probably so on a forum like this. I would like to give my pup a job and teach him to track rabbits. I know beagles are used a lot for rabbits but I was wondering what other kinds of dogs can be used or have been used with success.
[/align]
[/align]He is a 7 month old Jack Russell/Chihuahua and Min Pin mix. Hes clearly every dog I mentioned. Hes a little big to be a chihuahua and built like a min pin. Colors of a Jack but is very muscular. I feed him a high protein diet twice a day and he gets as much excercise as needed plus some on some days! lol
[/align]
[/align]He definately has the hunting addiction..especially birds, doves to be exact. When he sees them he cant control himself and will creep up as close as he can before taking off like he was shot out of a cannon.
[/align]
[/align]Hes about 10lbs or so now and close to 10.5-11" at the shoulders.
[/align]This is from about 6 months old.

[/align]
Old 04-14-2009, 10:46 AM

Default RE: Rabbit Dog

good for rabbits, workin them any way and if you lucky he might just catch some some days. i used to have a pure jack russel nd hewas a brilliant working dog, he also used to catch acouple on some days out, but just take him for daily walks around where the rabbits are and just let him run loose sometimes and see where that takes him, and whilst hees on the lead take him to the rabbit holes and let him sniff around. but one thing i will say, if you do let him loose, be shure to have a shovel at handand if you ever shoot one and dont eat it , tie it toa rope and run around with the rope or tie it to your tow thing on you car and drive quite slowly around the feild or path on the way to where you shoot or hunt and just let him chase it. and another thing you can do is just drag it on the rope around somewhere, and hide it, and then let your dog go and so he can track it down.... hope i helped
Old 05-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rabbit Dog

/