Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Deer tracking dog

Old 12-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer tracking dog

Opinions on the best (small) deer tracking dog....that would also make agood pet? I have 2 mutt labs right now, they are just pets....but my wife and kids want to get a small lap dog also.

I said ifwe get one, I want it to be the type that would make a good tracking dog too. I've heard mini daschunds are good, any others? Recommendations/Advice?

Thanks!
Mike
Old 12-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer tracking dog

Wirehaired Dachshunds are known to be good blood trackers. I am training my German Wirehaired Pointer for the blood tracking, but they are bigger dogs.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh boy! I get to brag ... again! Seriously, I have 2 Dachshunds. One, Tex, is almost 14 and Mojo is 4. I am very thankful for these two dogs. (Thus my sign in - Mojotex.)

Both are smooth hair, miniatures on the large side. I rescued Tex when he was about 1 and Mojo was given to me when he was a pup. I did nothing special to train Tex. He sort of trained me. I took him to hunt squirrels (he's a fine treeing squirrel dog). So happens we had a buck shot that afternoon and I took him to track it ... deer only went 30 yards or so, and we knew where it lay. Just wanted to introduce Tex to tracking because of what I had read about Dachshunds doing this. Worked with him on every chance I had that fall. By the 4 th. deer, he had the idea. Tex has been tracking since then, some 10 years ago. Used Tex to get Mojo started. Mojo is now excellent as well. I figure tracking is in these little dogs because neither came from so called tracking stock. But i want to try a pup from such stock when Tex's days are over. He's still gettin' it , so I take him every time I go to the camp. So far he and Mojo have recovered 6 of which 3 would have been tough finds without them.

Neither of these dogs seems willing to quit a trail ... and many times they have stayed on a "blood trail" that I for the life of me could not see one iota of evidence. They have a sort of gate when they are on a trail. Definitely know by their body language when they have lost the trail or when there is no blood to follow.

Tex became famous at our camp several years back finding a big, gut shot buck and them pushed by an inexperienced hunter. After getting the guy to lay off the tracking for about 6 hours, we started up again about dark:30. Track was a conservative 1 3/4 miles long, in the dark, sleet set in about 09:00. Took over 3 hours to recovery, and included 3 creek crossings. Mojo started solo tracking fall 2006 and has been great so far though he is much more lively than Tex ever was.

Obviously, I would suggest that you consider a Dachshund for a smallish tracking dog. If you know anyone that has tracking stock, I'd be trying to get my hands on a pup. If not ... my two were essentially free-bees and they have both been excellent trackers.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

A small sized beagle is a great tracking dog.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Mojo!

It actually looks like that is what we will be getting. The father is a mini, mother is a full size...short hair. Expected to be about 8-12 lbs. I am gonna do my homework on how to train them to track...and try to do it right. I need to shoot a doe in the next few weeks to get some blood stored up for practicing. Glad to hear yours did so well, especially not being started young. Did you do anything special with yours at all? It sounds like they just took it up naturally...which is cool.

Funny thing is...I haven't lost a deer in a long time....but its something that I've always wanted to have just in case. Hopefully this won't be an omen of things to come....LOL

I figured since my family wants one anyhow, might as well get one that will double as a tool too

My kids don't know, so its gonna be a good Christmas for them!
Old 12-12-2008, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

I would go for a Teckel.

http://www.teckelclub.org/
Old 12-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck with your dog. My dog is a lot bigger then you would want, but GSP's are amazing trackers and do great in the house. Beleive it or this dog finds everything, but in the pictures it shows you what a bum he is too. Sometimes i think he thinks he is a person with a good nose.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/crenshawjohnson/IMG_0226.jpg

Old 12-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey mustad, thanks for that link, some good info there. I had no idea what a Teckelwas, but they are dachsunds.It just appears that they are have to be a "certified tracker" to be called a Teckel.

Crenshaw...my friend has a GSP, and you are right. Those things have a great nose and sense to find things. His is very high strung though...need to run ALOT. Already having two bigger dogs, this seems like it will be goodfit for us. My wife is on the way to pick it out now

Old 12-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Awesome! Enjoy the new puppy.

Yeah i got lucky with my GSP. He has on/off switch. Outside he never stops running. Inside he never stops being a bum and laying around. I got really lucky. Makes my life easier.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did nothing special but take mine to the camp and let them track every trail practical, starting out with simple short tracks. You already have the "Teckel" info I was going to mention. I have been trying to buy a Dachshund from "Teckel" stock for 3 years and have run into a brick wall with about everyone I have contacted. Not many around and seems to be sort of an inclusive bunch. Can't blame them. Sounds like a great pass time.

Quick Reply: Deer tracking dog

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.