Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New lab pup

Old 11-14-2008, 10:35 PM

Default New lab pup

My wife and son have talked me into getting a lab. We have our eyes set on a Yellow Male.

Now...this dog will be a family dog first. BUT..i would like to train him as best as possible for upland bird hunting. I havent hunted in a few years.Butnow that i am done with school and more settled in, i am hoping to get back into it, probably next year.

Is it possible to have a good family dog that is also a good field dog? What books should i get?

thanks for the help..

Forgot to mention...i have had 2 labs and a brittany so i do have some experience raising dogs. This will be the first time with a family and children though.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New lab pup

ORIGINAL: packman64

My wife and son have talked me into getting a lab. We have our eyes set on a Yellow Male.

Now...this dog will be a family dog first. BUT..i would like to train him as best as possible for upland bird hunting. I havent hunted in a few years.Butnow that i am done with school and more settled in, i am hoping to get back into it, probably next year.

Is it possible to have a good family dog that is also a good field dog? What books should i get?

thanks for the help..

Forgot to mention...i have had 2 labs and a brittany so i do have some experience raising dogs. This will be the first time with a family and children though.
I will say, heck yes it is possible to have a family dog and one fantastic field dog to boot.

I use the book called the Water Dog by Richard Wolters? the last name slips me.
Max my lab loves to hunt and he isour family dog also, everyone helps with his training, and he makes sure someone every day retreives with him.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:09 PM

Yes it is possible to have a great hunting dog that is a great family dog. I've seen more "kennel" dogs run the other way when it comes time to hunt. A dog kept in contact with the family is more calm and much more willing to do anything you ask because he is much more committed to you than one you just leave outside or alone until season comes up. The suggestion of the book on your prior message is an excellent book for training, and yes, he got the last name right.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:48 PM

You will likely have a much better hunter if you raise it as one with your family. Establish yourself as the boss at an early age, make sure your family is consistent with your training and your bond with the dog will pay big dividends in the field. I'd recommend the book "Gun Dog" by Richard Wolters if your intention is upland game. Labs can be a high energy dog, might test your patience in the house til they mature a little. One of my sons has a female Yellow Lab, is a real sweetheart in the house once she settles down. Good luck...
Old 11-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: packman64

thanks for the help..

all good info, cant offer much more than i like TAPES not BOOK.i hate reading.

basic training is all that is needed,make sure he listens to you.

get him use to kennel in your truck, not in front seat.

get him around birds ,YEAR ROUND.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:06 PM

We went and picked him up yesterday. He is nine weeks old. AKC etc etc. I dont really care about filing all that paperwork.

His dad is a hunting dog and his grandad was some famous field dog. Cant remember his name. His mom was more of a "Show" dog.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good looking pup.
Get on a good sequential training program like the Smartwork series of books/DVD's, by Graham-- or in a pinch the "10 Minute Retriever" by the Dahl's.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:41 PM

It might be a couple of weeks before i can get one of the books. What should i work on first? So far, i have just been walking him on a leash and making him heel and stay by my side. We are also crate training and house training.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wait for the book ! ! !
You're already getting the cart before the horse.
When you get the book, follow it page by page and chapter by chapter with NO skipping around.

I hope you don't mind my asking, but what kind of health clearances do the parents of your pup have?

Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 AM

Doc E. I will wait for the book. Thank you for the tip. As far as health clearances go, i am not sure what you mean. He has had his first two series of shots, been dewormed, and dewclawed. Both parents were on site. Dad was yellow, and mom was black. Both dogs were very well behaved and very healthy. There were no signs of hip diplasia(sp?) etc...

Is there something i should be worried about?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.